Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tranny starts in 3rd gear...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tranny starts in 3rd gear...help

Ok, first the Jeep in question is a 1999 Cherokee Limited 4x4 with the AW4 Transmission. For reference I have another 1999 Cherokee Sport also 4x4 with the AW4. So, back to the problem Jeep, the Limited. The Jeep starts in 3rd gear. It will shift manually and shifts just fine. In my other Jeep, the sport I experienced something similar and replaced the TCU and that fixed it right up. So, when the limited started to do this I thought, easy it’s the TCU. So I ordered another and swapped it and BAM, no change. My first thought was that it’s a used part and maybe it just was bad. So, I swapped the TCU into the other Jeep and found that it does in fact work. So this rules out theTCU itself. Now I have read several posts about an inline TCU fuse but could not locate such fuse and I haven’t been able to decipher whether this fuse even exists on the ‘97+ XJ’s. I can change the shift sensors because I have changed those on the other Jeep as well and it really was an easy job but I can’t see how the sensors would be bad if the Jeep will shift manually. Am I wrong on this? Any thoughts? I have read everything from TPS to bad grounds to corroded electrical connections near the tranny dipstick to folks who just gave up and shift manually forever. So for the experts out there...where do I go from here?
Old 10-03-2018, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I've got the exact same symptoms and so far my money is on the downshift solenoid in the trans. I've bought the replacements (full set of three was about 70 dollars IIRC) but I haven't had chance to swap them in yet - mainly because I'm not looking forward so soaking my brand new driveway in trans fluid
If I get this job done before you I'll report back.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:17 PM

I have done the shift solenoid swap as mentioned previously. It’s not bad. I just ordered a set off eBay just in case figuring it doesn’t hurt to try this. I know in my other Cherokee the transmission was simply slipping and this cured that and it didn’t hurt to drain all the fluid and change and change the filter. Let me know how it goes. I’m crossing my fingers that this is it and I won’t have to worry about electrical issues.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:07 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Over near the transmission dipstick tube are 2 rather large connectors. One is black and goes to the NSS and the gray connector goes to the transmission itself
. These 2 connectors carry all the info between TPS, TCU, NSS, speed sensor, and transmission solenoids.

Unplug each one, visually inspect for corrosion or bent pins, spray them out with electrical contact cleaner and plug them back in.

Additionally, if your Jeep is an ’87 to ’90 Renix, it’s always a good idea to reach up under the glovebox area and unplug the connector to the TCU and spray it out along with the receptacle of the TCU. While you’re there, find the fuse right in that area for the TCU. Remove it and spray out it’s receptacle and clean any corrosion from the fuse.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:27 PM

Default Here's where I'm at with thirds problem.

I'm quite sure you're problem is like mine in my 95. When in D it doesn't rev above 2500rpm seeming like it's in 3rd already. Then all other gears are fine. (1-2, 3, R). The inline fuse is not in mine nor your jeeps as it is only in renix models. Ive changed all 3 solonoids, tcu, tps, tss, and had no improvement. I'm not trying to get you down but just giving you a heads up. My problem still persists till this day. Please lemme know if you figure it out.