Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tracking down the source of this leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tracking down the source of this leak

So since I've had this XJ it's always had an oil leak. I replaced the valve cover a couple weeks ago since I could see oil dripping down the back of the engine from somewhere high. That didn't fix it. So I'm working my way down. It sat in the garage over this past weekend while me and the family were out of town and came back to a decent size puddle. Before I moved it, I took pictures of where the leak was under it so I could maybe get some ideas on where to look. I'm thinking this may be the oil filter adapter. It's a 2000 model so there isn't a dizzy so other than the oil filter adapter or the notorious RMS, what else could it be? You can see from the pics the leak is falling forward enough that it could be the oil filter adapter, but I'm not sure. It also burns on the exhaust. I can also see it leaking from the front of the oil pan but it's a very small leak and it's not going back that far.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

Most likely the oil filter adaptor. Apparently a frequent issue. This leak also has the symptom of starter issues. I haven't fixed mine yet but here is an under shot of mine.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by gunmetal_nightrider
Most likely the oil filter adaptor. Apparently a frequent issue. This leak also has the symptom of starter issues. I haven't fixed mine yet but here is an under shot of mine.
Do you have it leak on your exhaust and smell it burning?
Old 06-23-2015, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Very likely the oil filter adapter O-Rings are shot. When I replaced mine I used a Mopar set of O-rings from a dealer.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:51 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Very likely the oil filter adapter O-Rings are shot. When I replaced mine I used a Mopar set of O-rings from a dealer.
Yep. Jooman, you never read this?

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013
Old 06-23-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Yep. Jooman, you never read this? I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF. Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking. Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it? A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat. Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons. First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill". Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first. Revised 02-26-2013
Yep I read it on another post before.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jooman07
Yep I read it on another post before.
Then what's the holdup?
Old 06-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: I6

Yep, I would try the oil filter adapter. Buy the o-rings from the dealer. They should cost under 10 bucks for sure. Think I paid about 5-6 for mine. That oil filter adapter can be a huge PITA to get off. I had to use a 6' long cheater bar to get mine off. No joke. No more oil leak though.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Then what's the holdup?
Finding time off from work and kids..
Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Doogluus88
Yep, I would try the oil filter adapter. Buy the o-rings from the dealer. They should cost under 10 bucks for sure. Think I paid about 5-6 for mine. That oil filter adapter can be a huge PITA to get off. I had to use a 6' long cheater bar to get mine off. No joke. No more oil leak though.
I am. I called me local dealer today and the set is $14. Gonna try and pick it up here in the next few days and get it done. I watched some vids on how to do it and they said it was a pain cause it was on so tight or had loctite from the factory.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Definitely oil filter adapter. This is more common of an issue than people know.

I have the same problem and just ordered a set of o rings from the dealer for $20 or so. Going to change them on my next oil change in 2k more miles.

I also intermittently have starter issues, but I'll clean it up good after I fix this.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Definitely oil filter adapter. This is more common of an issue than people know.

I have the same problem and just ordered a set of o rings from the dealer for $20 or so. Going to change them on my next oil change in 2k more miles.

I also intermittently have starter issues, but I'll clean it up good after I fix this.
Take that starter apart and clean it. Super simple. Even I can do it.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

With the leak being so far forward,I would bet the filter adapter.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Take that starter apart and clean it. Super simple. Even I can do it.
Pressure-washed the whole side of the engine block today, being careful not to hit critical electrical components.

Good as new, and didn't turn one bolt! :-)
Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Pressure-washed the whole side of the engine block today, being careful not to hit critical electrical components.

Good as new, and didn't turn one bolt! :-)
Clean the starter...... remove, disassemble, clean, reassemble.