Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

TPS code after power steering pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default TPS code after power steering pump replacement

Hello all! I've been reading the forum for a while but never had to post anything. Here's the deal: Power steering pump went last week, went to replace it, crimped both pressure hose fittings upon taking them out. So, I ended up replacing the gearbox as well. Bled the pump, no air left, but still was only working intermittently. Not a big deal, I figured it was a crap reman pump so i'd just have to try again as i've read before. I tried to bleed the pump once more before getting another one, and at almost full lock right turn my CEL came on, p0123 and p0118, she stalled. I needed to transport some stuff for a show so I had to try to get it running, I unplugged the clockspring thinking maybe that would help, or atleast bypass the problem for now. the CEL went off but came back on a few minutes later, decently steady idle but bogged out after rev, transmission struggling to shift. After unplugging the clockspring the p0118 (ECT sensor) went away, but the p0123 (TPS voltage high) was still there. TPS was getting all the proper voltage, the only thing I couldn't do was backprobe because I just could not get anything in there while the TPS was connected. I bit the bullet and bought a new TPS today, same problem though, but now my CEL codes are p0122 and p0123. So, could this be related to the power steering pump if it is faulty? It actually works pretty well now, except for some minor squeaking, I don't lose power steering like I was that first day before the CEL came on. What the hell is happening?!?!

EDIT: Probably should mention I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L inline 6

Last edited by tpos908; 04-09-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: jeep model