Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Transaxle and TPS code after wheeling. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transaxle and TPS code after wheeling. Need help.

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with an automatic transmission. I took it offroading today. On the way to the park it started raining really hard. We ended up wheeling but it was very wet and muddy. I noticed while wheeling in 4-low it wasn't wanting to shift out of 1st sometimes. When going to head home at first it would not shift.
It started shifting once i would get up to around 3200 rpms and let off of the gas. It would start cutting out some too. I was able to shift into everything this way besides OD. I had to drive it home at around 55 mph. It was displaying symptoms i have had whenever my new TPS was acting up. I called the local part store and stopped by to get a new one (didn't have my recipet at the time to replace under warranty). I had them run codes just to see before i purchased it.
I can't seem to find the papers they printed off with the codes but it was a TPS code and i believe the other one was P0700 Transaxle control module. I took it to the car wash and cleaned off the bottom of it just to make sure it wasn't all gummed up and i replaced the TPS. When i left it was shifting fine but seemed to lack a little power. I didnt' have much time to drive around so just came straight home.
Any ideas on what the Transaxle code would be? Could it be from being in alot of water?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Anyone?
Old 04-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Seasoned Member

So i took the old BWD TPS in and replaced it under warranty. I wanted to check it since the other new one seemed to make it idle high and still little less power. I put the new BWD one in and at start it idled normal. After i drove it for a minute the idle went back up to around 2000 rpms. It cut out a few times after putting it in but seemed like it stopped after a little.
any ideas?