Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sway Bar + Link Ends + Steering Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Sway Bar + Link Ends + Steering Stuff

Hey Team..... First off, thanks for the great forum and help given here!

I bought a 99 Cherokee Classic and she had a few issues. Runs well, but needed some TLC
I have fixed about 10 different things from the great threads here, but have a couple more to do.

The Classic was moving over the road when hitting a bump, plus there was play in the steering wheel (I could move it 2-3 inches before the tires responded).
I got an assessment done and they said "Replace sway bar links", "Replace steering damper" and "Replace shocks - front and back"
They did say that all the bearings and joints were great and tight.

Sooo, I bought a damper + link kit and replaced them today. I took it for a good run and it handled so much better and the play had gone in the steering (there was still a 1/2 inch or so)
The issues was, it still felt like I was roaming over the road a bit (like it was bouncing/floating a little side to side when steering and taking a little long to respond when I am correcting.,,,,hard to explain, sorry)

What I wanted to ask is:
1. Could this be because of the shocks? (it is clear that the shocks are done, as it leans on corners)
2. What else might it be?

Again, thanks for all the helps thus far.

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2019, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Cutty
Hey Team..... First off, thanks for the great forum and help given here!

I bought a 99 Cherokee Classic and she had a few issues. Runs well, but needed some TLC
I have fixed about 10 different things from the great threads here, but have a couple more to do.

The Classic was moving over the road when hitting a bump, plus there was play in the steering wheel (I could move it 2-3 inches before the tires responded).
I got an assessment done and they said "Replace sway bar links", "Replace steering damper" and "Replace shocks - front and back"
They did say that all the bearings and joints were great and tight.

Sooo, I bought a damper + link kit and replaced them today. I took it for a good run and it handled so much better and the play had gone in the steering (there was still a 1/2 inch or so)
The issues was, it still felt like I was roaming over the road a bit (like it was bouncing/floating a little side to side when steering and taking a little long to respond when I am correcting.,,,,hard to explain, sorry)

What I wanted to ask is:
1. Could this be because of the shocks? (it is clear that the shocks are done, as it leans on corners)
2. What else might it be?

Again, thanks for all the helps thus far.

Cheers!
You didn't mention whether it had a lift kit installed previously. This will matter when it comes to advice. Some common reasons for wandering would be:

1. Poor alignment
2. Worn out tires or tires that are worn unevenly
3. Caster angles to extreme due to prior lift and stock control arms still in use
What tire size do you currently have on?
Old 07-21-2019, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
You didn't mention whether it had a lift kit installed previously. This will matter when it comes to advice. Some common reasons for wandering would be:

1. Poor alignment
2. Worn out tires or tires that are worn unevenly
3. Caster angles to extreme due to prior lift and stock control arms still in use
What tire size do you currently have on?
Thanks for getting back.....!

1. The alignment was cleared during the assessment at the shop before the repairs (float was happening before the repairs though)
2. Tires are in good condition
3. No lift, it is all standard.

I am not sure on the tire size actually, but can check that in the morning.

Again, thanks for getting back.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Shocks won't keep it from leaning in corners. This is due to worn out springs. Shocks just help to dampen jolts on the springs to keep them from spring up and down a few times after hitting a bump.

Because of the design of the XJ it is normal for the steering to be affected when the axle moves up and down (it is called bump steer). Normally, it would be be minimal if the springs were allowing only small movements of the axle, and the shocks were damping the up and down movement the axle quickly (minimizing the number of times the axle moves up and down on any given bump).

So yes, replacing your shocks will probably help, because they will reduce the number of times your front axle is moving up and down every time you hit a bump or a rise/fall in the road surface.

The steering gear also plays a part in damping steering disruptions (along with the steering damper). So sometimes when the steering gear is worn out they can contribute to more pronounced bump steer and in extreme cases "death wobble" where play in the steering system allows the wheels to oscillate wildly until they are brought to a near stop. (remember back to when you had a bad shopping cart and the wheel would shudder left to right very quickly).

But start with the shocks. They are always a good place to start, and you wouldn't want to pull any more hair out before getting those done.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Shocks won't keep it from leaning in corners. This is due to worn out springs. Shocks just help to dampen jolts on the springs to keep them from spring up and down a few times after hitting a bump.

Because of the design of the XJ it is normal for the steering to be affected when the axle moves up and down (it is called bump steer). Normally, it would be be minimal if the springs were allowing only small movements of the axle, and the shocks were damping the up and down movement the axle quickly (minimizing the number of times the axle moves up and down on any given bump).

So yes, replacing your shocks will probably help, because they will reduce the number of times your front axle is moving up and down every time you hit a bump or a rise/fall in the road surface.

The steering gear also plays a part in damping steering disruptions (along with the steering damper). So sometimes when the steering gear is worn out they can contribute to more pronounced bump steer and in extreme cases "death wobble" where play in the steering system allows the wheels to oscillate wildly until they are brought to a near stop. (remember back to when you had a bad shopping cart and the wheel would shudder left to right very quickly).

But start with the shocks. They are always a good place to start, and you wouldn't want to pull any more hair out before getting those done.
Yeah, I appreciate there will always be a lean on corners...... sorry, I am not explaining too well.

When I go over speed bumps at low speed, the car dips/bounces. Is this due to shocks or springs?

Based on the "float", what would be the best part to replace?
Or, do I replace both?

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I appreciate there will always be a lean on corners...... sorry, I am not explaining too well.

When I go over speed bumps at low speed, the car dips/bounces. Is this due to shocks or springs?

Based on the "float", what would be the best part to replace?
Or, do I replace both?

Cheers!
Bounces = shocks (mostly)

The following 2 users liked this post by jordan96xj:
Batman33165 (07-23-2019), russiebear (11-28-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Cheers!

In your opinion, what would be the best repair for the "floating" when driving?

Cheers.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Shocks.

Price vs. performance, I would go with Monroe OE Spectra. (a step up from their sensatracs but still not terribly expensive). They are a little more geared to matching the original equipment specifications.

But even sensatracs that are working properly will help a lot.
The following users liked this post:
Cutty (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Cheers!

In your opinion, what would be the best repair for the "floating" when driving?

Cheers.
Normally, I'd say that your various tie rod ends and track bar need to be checked for wear - but it sounds like you had a shop check and they said it was good.

If all the tie rod stuff and track bar are nice and tight and all the bolts are torqued down fully, I'd suspect that the weak/worn springs and worn out shocks would contribute to a "floating" feeling when driving. Play in the steering gear or play in the steering linkage (the column shaft has small u-joints that can wear out and get sloppy) is also a possibility.

Get some decent shocks on there - replace the springs and then see where you're at. If it's still wonky, go from there.
The following users liked this post:
Cutty (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the help team.... I will keep you updated.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:19 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I’m still working on the old girl.

I haven’t changed the shocks yet, so it could still be them.

I was noticing more play in the steering when parked and when driving. Parked it was 2-3 inches before the wheels took and driving it was 4-5 inches before I felt the old girl start to take. So I went ahead and tightened the steering box. Bit of a mission, but I think I got it.

When driving the steering goes lock to lock with no issues and wheel only moves an inch or two when I am parked/driving and swing the wheel side to side. It feels nice and snug.

The issue I am still having is, the steering isn’t super responsive. As in, it doesn’t feel like it responds straight away when I turn the wheel. And maybe it needs more wheel rotation to take a corner than I would expect.

As per the start of this thread, the shop said everything was tight under neither. I changed the sway bar links and steering dampener a few months back.
Also about to change the sway bar bushes.

I might be over thinking it and this is just how the old girl handles....?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Old 08-31-2019, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Really should get new shocks on her. The rest of the suspension may be needing attended to also. Front coils could be weak but more so the bushings in the control arms may be worn (they keep the front axle in it's correct position and stable). The rear springs and their bushings don't last forever. Also the shackles and their upper bushings could be weak. Think about it. If a vehicle who's sprung weight is unstable letting the body lean in all directions more than it should steering will be affected.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Really should get new shocks on her. The rest of the suspension may be needing attended to also. Front coils could be weak but more so the bushings in the control arms may be worn (they keep the front axle in it's correct position and stable). The rear springs and their bushings don't last forever. Also the shackles and their upper bushings could be weak. Think about it. If a vehicle who's sprung weight is unstable letting the body lean in all directions more than it should steering will be affected.
Thanks for the reply!

For sure, it is on my list to get new shocks soon.
I might just take it in for an inspection and then I will know for sure and can see about fixing it myself.

Cheers!