Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disconnecting only one sway bar link - will the sway bar smack the inner fender or ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default disconnecting only one sway bar link - will the sway bar smack the inner fender or ??

I searched google and this forum and found nothing

If I disconnected only one sway bar - let's say the driver side sway bar - the two front wheels will be "disconnected" from each other (as far as the sway bar is concerned) but the sway bar will still be swinging around because it would be attached to the passenger side wheel.

My question is, will it being swinging enough for it to smack the inner fender on the driver side when the passenger side tire travels up? or the drag link when the passenger side tire travels down?? My thinking tells me that, no, it won't hit the inner fender, because it will only travel as high on the driver side as it does on the passenger side and of course the passenger side isn't hitting the inner fender of if it is you have problems. However! The axle is now moving independent and non-parallel with the sway bar. If the passenger side goes up and the driver side goes down, like driving passenger-side tire over a big rock, then the sway bar will be pulled down and it could collide with the axle or drag link or something on the passenger side??

The reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if I only need to remove one sway bar link and not both! I don't have quick disconnects and this would halve the time it takes me to disconnect the sway bar links.

Maybe there is a good reason why nobody disconnects only one sway bar link....

Last edited by mannydantyla; 11-03-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

only if the axle is moving enough to smack the inner fender on the passengers side with the sway bar too....

the sway bar is 1 solid piece of metal, and the axle is 1 solid piece..so if they are connected on both ends by a given distance, and they are parallel when both ends are connected, if you disconnect 1 end, they will still be parallel...if the axle moves up on one end, the other end will also rotate up the same amount. Since the sway bar mounts to the frame, it can not move up more than it does when normally if 1 side is still connected...the axle can move tho

Most people disconnect both tends to avoid damaging the disconnected end link, as the sway bar can hit it and mess up the threads on it, and if you move it out of the way, other stuff can hit it and cause damage maybe.

Last edited by TRCM; 11-03-2017 at 03:44 PM.