Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sunken 98 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Sunken 98 XJ

So long story short, my 98 XJ 5spd ended up in the lake on saturday. I was by myself pulling the boat out. I wasn't thinking and left the engine running with the parking brake on, again I was by my self. Got out cranked the boat on the trailer, hopped in the boat to shut it off and lift the outdrive up and that is when the emergency brake let loose. I should have known better as my Ebrake barely holds my jeep in my driveway (its pretty steep). So I hopped out of the boat in an effort to try to stop the jeep before it went totally under. Got the door open and water was just pouring in at this point, by the time I found the brake with my right foot I was in pretty deep. I'm 6'2" and with my left foot on the ground of the ramp and my right foot on the brake the water was about up to my nipples. Pretty scary really. I'd say the water was just over the ignition switch. The left front corner was completely under, pretty well sunk it. Had to have someone call 911 (my cell which was obviously in my pocket got wet too) and have a tow truck pull the jeep and the boat out all at once. Guy showed up through his divers mask on and went to work, got two good hooks under the front axle. Towed me and the boat home ($250) and I started going to town. Got the front seats out and started vacuuming. Drilled a couple holes where the water seemed to want to settle. Put an electric heater and fan in it and opened up all the doors and hatch. Drained the oil and pulled the plugs, yes there was water in it and lubed the cylinders and turned it over by hand a bunch. I think managed to kill the motor before it went down it happened so fast I can't really remember. This was all on Saturday, left it for the night.

Sunday comes and I really get to work. Drained the trans, transfer, front and rear diffs. Pulled the fuel tank, fuel pump and cleaned the tank. Installed a new fuel pump (didn't know if it was bad but since its got 150k i figured why not) all new fluids, new cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs. After drying for a 24hr I figured it was time to try to fire it. Spit and sputtered but I eventually got it fired up. Smoked like hell because of the oil I put in it. Anyways, it was running like **** after about a half hour. let it cool and fired it up again, idle was all over the place and wouldn't stay running after revving. Done for the night (sunday)

Off to work (couldn't focus much with my jeep not running right) got out of work and decided to try a few things. Changed the TPS, MAP, and IAC. Fired it up still ran like crap. Pulled all the engine connectors and sprayed them with cleaner pulled the plugs and they were full of carbon beyond belief. Also, these were new plugs and the electrode on a few of them seemed to be bent almost shut while other seemed to have opened up. So I put new plugs in. Fired it up and ran good until it warmed up, at this point I was test driving (no seat) and it was running really rough. Pulled plugs again, black as can be. Obviously running rich after warming up, at this point I was done for the night (Monday night) but this was a good indication that the O2 sensors had taken hit too.

Off to napa this morning to get new O2 sensors and new plugs (didn't feel like cleaning the others). installed them and now she runs like a dream. Put the seat in her and drove around for about a half hour.

I think I saved her for now. Everything is pretty well getting dry and from what I can see all the electrical systems are working. Mirrors, windows, radio, lights. Everything. Needless to say I extremely happy now. Plus I have a good story to go along with it. I can't help but think if this were any other vehicle it would be toast. ONLY IN A JEEP!

Last edited by losixfor; 06-11-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

That is not a long story short

Glad its running again. I agree, only in a Jeep.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM

pics or it didnt happen
Old 06-11-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrkauffman
pics or it didnt happen
There was a lady there who got a picture. She was from like the elks club or something like that. She was very kind and was trying to make me feel better about my situation. She said to contact her club they were there to help people in need. She got a picture and gave me her contact info. I was pretty pissed at that point so I don't know what I did with it, I have to find it
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya just can't kill these things!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM