Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stuck in Second

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Stuck in Second

My tranny seems to be stuck in second gear. I've got a 96 xj country and ever since a light wheeling session last night and getting stuck my tranny only has 2nd as a forward gear. Reverse works fine. Manually shifting doesn't change anything either. I have read that it could be a tps or tcu but am not sure where the tcu is. I've replaced the fuse just in case and its still doing it. And what's really weird is that my roof rack lights quit working at the same time and my cruise control light is always on but the cruise no longer works. And the torque converter seems to lock up in forward gears as if its in overdrive. To get it moving you've gotta rev it some while dumping it into gear and it bogs right down then starts to go. And when you come to a stop, nothing disengages and unless you throw it into neutral, it stalls out as if you didn't push in the clutch on a manual trans. Just wondering if people has had a problem like this and opinions on where to start. Im digging in tomorrow and want some opinions. And yes, I DID SEARCH! Thanks anyone..
Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

At first I thought it might just be in limp mode (actually it probably is), but I havn't heard of it causing the TC to stay locked up. I would start with checking the wiring from the trans, such as the conectors on the rear passenger side of the engine bay, close to the transmission level stick. When I had a problem with my tranny stuck in limp mode on my '99 it turned out to be a bad fuse in the passenger kick panel.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 PM

I don't believe there are any fuses in the passenger kick panel of my 96. What's this limp mode? It makes sense what you described though.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 AM

Year: 1995

Sounds like all the solenoids are stuck on. Could be a bad transmission computer or shorted wire somewhere. Unplug the transmission computer or pull its fuse, then see if it will shift manually.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

yes, you're correct. I'm not sure if there are other fuses or where they would be in a '96 as I've never owned one, but it might be worth checking around. I do think the transmission control module is located behind the passenger side knee bar, probably would require the lower part of the dash removed to get to it. If this was an "all of a sudden" type of thing I would bet its electrical in nature.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Im almost positive it's electrical since like you said, its all of a sudden and I wasn't really rodding on it when it happened.