KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Teething Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default Teething Problems?

Guess I posted in the wrong place. Hope I got it right this time.

With having just turned over 1000 kms.on my brand new 2016, I never thought I would be looking for answers this quick but as it's the weekend and I can't get to the dealers till tomorrow, I thought I would throw it out there.
Took the new Cherokee North on a shakedown cruise from my hometown of Nelson BC to Kelowna and back. Everything was smooth sailing till today when I went off road up some logging trails to shoot some shyte with a couple of my guns. The road was not in bad shape and I only went about 10 kms. Raining and muddy so I used the 'mud' selection. After blowing some stuff up I packed up and headed back to the highway. I noticed the selection switch had gone back to Auto with a fresh start up. No biggie I guess that's what is supposed to happen. This part of it may or may not have something to do with it, I don't know.
Back on the highway I shortly pulled up behind a slow mover truck and trailer. When I thought I had an opening I hit it and pulled out to find I did not have enough room. It had shifted into one of the many passing modes and when I backed off it stayed in that gear. Then a Service transmission warning came on along with being stuck in that gear. It was revving four or five grand at 80 or 90 kph. I pulled over and turned the engine off. Couple of minutes later I restarted and pulled out in that same gear. Drove a bit and pulled over shut down and popped the hood. Spent some time looking at fuses as this thing is soooo electronic, but didn't see anything.
Started up again and the warning was gone. (longer time for reset?) Hitting the road everything was normal again but the engine light was on. Twenty klicks later it disappeared.
I only hope this in NOT the beginning of a Not so beautiful friendship.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 AM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by MoToad
Guess I posted in the wrong place. Hope I got it right this time.

With having just turned over 1000 kms.on my brand new 2016, I never thought I would be looking for answers this quick but as it's the weekend and I can't get to the dealers till tomorrow, I thought I would throw it out there.
Took the new Cherokee North on a shakedown cruise from my hometown of Nelson BC to Kelowna and back. Everything was smooth sailing till today when I went off road up some logging trails to shoot some shyte with a couple of my guns. The road was not in bad shape and I only went about 10 kms. Raining and muddy so I used the 'mud' selection. After blowing some stuff up I packed up and headed back to the highway. I noticed the selection switch had gone back to Auto with a fresh start up. No biggie I guess that's what is supposed to happen. This part of it may or may not have something to do with it, I don't know.
Back on the highway I shortly pulled up behind a slow mover truck and trailer. When I thought I had an opening I hit it and pulled out to find I did not have enough room. It had shifted into one of the many passing modes and when I backed off it stayed in that gear. Then a Service transmission warning came on along with being stuck in that gear. It was revving four or five grand at 80 or 90 kph. I pulled over and turned the engine off. Couple of minutes later I restarted and pulled out in that same gear. Drove a bit and pulled over shut down and popped the hood. Spent some time looking at fuses as this thing is soooo electronic, but didn't see anything.
Started up again and the warning was gone. (longer time for reset?) Hitting the road everything was normal again but the engine light was on. Twenty klicks later it disappeared.
I only hope this in NOT the beginning of a Not so beautiful friendship.
gosh no... thats not right...
Old 09-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Now been thru the shop. They found the fault code in the Pooter and it was one module that caused the problem. Some weird name. This car has a lot of modules. Said probably just a glitch that may be corrected with future updates. Too new to tell but there is absolutely nothing to worry. They did say I did the right thing by bringing it in directly. Some reprieve for acting like a new Mom.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by MoToad
Now been thru the shop. They found the fault code in the Pooter and it was one module that caused the problem. Some weird name. This car has a lot of modules. Said probably just a glitch that may be corrected with future updates. Too new to tell but there is absolutely nothing to worry. They did say I did the right thing by bringing it in directly. Some reprieve for acting like a new Mom.
they cant blame it on UPDATES, this aint a windows computer... we dont need update after freaking update after update.. and or glitches... when driving a vehicle down the road.. we dont..
Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Year: 1997/2014
Engine: 4.0L I6/3.2 V6

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
they cant blame it on UPDATES, this aint a windows computer... we dont need update after freaking update after update.. and or glitches... when driving a vehicle down the road.. we dont..
That's where you're wrong. This is just like a computer. Windows, no, the OS is Blackberry based QNX Neutrino. Yeah. Like the phones. This is the way cars are built these days. We all knew these cars were tech'd out when we bought them. They need constant updates, just like a phone or computer. There are software glitches that will require fixing.

Stop comparing them to a 20 year old XJ. It's a hassle to go to the dealership and get the updates, and its annoying that they blame almost every problem on software, but its something we all signed up for. If you aren't willing to accept that then maybe this isn't the car for you.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Software updates don't bother me: they're easier to manage than having the car in the shop for two-to-three days with a mechanical issue. Heck, if FCA gets around to figuring out a faster way to do them, I could do them myself with a thumb drive.

BTW, I didn't know that about QNX Neutrino. VERY interesting!
Old 09-23-2015, 05:18 PM

If they are anything like the bike shops, you would need a 5 grand shop analyzer just to plug them in.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lighttoast
That's where you're wrong. This is just like a computer. Windows, no, the OS is Blackberry based QNX Neutrino. Yeah. Like the phones. This is the way cars are built these days. We all knew these cars were tech'd out when we bought them. They need constant updates, just like a phone or computer. There are software glitches that will require fixing.

Stop comparing them to a 20 year old XJ. It's a hassle to go to the dealership and get the updates, and its annoying that they blame almost every problem on software, but its something we all signed up for. If you aren't willing to accept that then maybe this isn't the car for you.
Well said, and sorry the OP had an issue.

Last edited by GCWIMMER; 09-23-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:22 PM

its not a computer. its a vehicle.. and im joining the class action lawsuit.. they can buy the things back and take em back to the drawing board..

and no i didnt sign up for this in marhc 2014 when i bought it... thought i was buying something ready for the market... my lord go back and read/listen to yourself... your acting like its ok to rip off the masses.... and if ya take a peek at all the other forums.. its the same thing upset customers..
if your happy with it.. keep it... myself and the majority of upset customers are going to get something else..
Old 09-27-2015, 06:59 PM

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'm sorry that you experienced a problem, but it seems like you did the right thing and took it to Jeep and they fixed it. I hope that's the last major issue you have.

Metal, you're right. It isn't just a computer. It is a vehicle which has a purpose to move people around. But take the computer out of that vehicle and the only way you are getting around is if you start pushing like the Flintstones. I'm going to let you go back and read what I've been saying. Never once did I say that it was ok for them to rip us off. And if they were I would be just as upset as you are and would have returned it. But that isn't the fact. Every time there has been a problem, there has been a recall. When people were returning their Jeeps for transmission issues, Jeep went as far as replacing the entire transmission. They have never once charged me for something that should be under warranty. And even with all the recalls and talk about issues, sales of the Cherokee are still climbing. The reason you see upset customers on forums is because the majority of people who talk about experiences (any kind) online only talk about the bad experiences.

You bought your Jeep after 5-6 months of sales. There were people complaining about software upgrades and transmission issues long before March of 2014 (same month I bought mine by the way). If you did any research on the purchase you DID sign up for these issues, or at least the risk of them being there. You have been complaining about the KL and FCA messing up for a year and half and threatening to get rid of yours for just as long. I'm tired of hearing it. Since I'm not supposed to swear on here, I'll change the words a little: Poop or get off the pooper. I'm not sure what specs exactly you have, but I just checked the KBB on mine (about 25k), and even with the very small trade in down payment I made, after 18 months of payments I'm in the black if I were to trade it in. There's the down payment on that Wrangler you want to go back to. Its a great Jeep. I would recommend it.

We have clearly both had different experiences with the day-to-day use of our KLs. I can understand your frustration with the vehicle if every problem out there has been happening to you. But to sit here and badmouth Jeep for having to update software or join a lawsuit over FCA not doing anything about the problems seems a little ridiculous. I, for one, won't be participating at this point. It's your right to do so if you want, but that's my .02
Old 09-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Nary a sign of problems since. And she is mos def doing what I bought her for (besides all the lux play things.)
Attached Thumbnails Teething Problems?-20150926_155130-small-.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015, 05:17 PM

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'm sorry that you experienced a problem, but it seems like you did the right thing and took it to Jeep and they fixed it. I hope that's the last major issue you have.

Metal, you're right. It isn't just a computer. It is a vehicle which has a purpose to move people around. But take the computer out of that vehicle and the only way you are getting around is if you start pushing like the Flintstones. I'm going to let you go back and read what I've been saying. Never once did I say that it was ok for them to rip us off. And if they were I would be just as upset as you are and would have returned it. But that isn't the fact. Every time there has been a problem, there has been a recall. When people were returning their Jeeps for transmission issues, Jeep went as far as replacing the entire transmission. They have never once charged me for something that should be under warranty. And even with all the recalls and talk about issues, sales of the Cherokee are still climbing. The reason you see upset customers on forums is because the majority of people who talk about experiences (any kind) online only talk about the bad experiences.

You bought your Jeep after 5-6 months of sales. There were people complaining about software upgrades and transmission issues long before March of 2014 (same month I bought mine by the way). If you did any research on the purchase you DID sign up for these issues, or at least the risk of them being there. You have been complaining about the KL and FCA messing up for a year and half and threatening to get rid of yours for just as long. I'm tired of hearing it. Since I'm not supposed to swear on here, I'll change the words a little: Poop or get off the pooper. I'm not sure what specs exactly you have, but I just checked the KBB on mine (about 25k), and even with the very small trade in down payment I made, after 18 months of payments I'm in the black if I were to trade it in. There's the down payment on that Wrangler you want to go back to. Its a great Jeep. I would recommend it.

We have clearly both had different experiences with the day-to-day use of our KLs. I can understand your frustration with the vehicle if every problem out there has been happening to you. But to sit here and badmouth Jeep for having to update software or join a lawsuit over FCA not doing anything about the problems seems a little ridiculous. I, for one, won't be participating at this point. It's your right to do so if you want, but that's my .02
i went with out my jeep for about a month, did you.. NO! its been in and out of the shop more than it should have... if you was in my shoes you wouldnt be talking like you are.. lol.. thats real talk... say what ya like.. and yes.. Jeep is messing up.. not only on the KL but the Renegade as well as the grand Cherokee.. the only one in the line up not having extreme silly issues is the wrangler line up..
. i am totally missing your logic stating that this is acceptable, i did not sign up for beta testing, they should have held the product another year maybe 2, let several demo models go out to random locations and worked out the bugs prior. that is part of conducting R&D
.. i myself was purchasing a vehicle that was ready for the market.. ive never had a vehicle that has needed so much work!! even my first beater car as a teen a 78 cutlass was moe reliable.. it spat and sputtered, but never left me stranded out of state.. and im tired of hearing your overly positive crap myself and i find it funny that your all butt hurt over me talking about the negative aspects of my vehicle.. lmao.. and by the way you only read what was posted for you to read just like everyone else.. so dont act like you have inside information and did great researching feats where others did not..
Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 PM

Thank you for proving my point. Allow me to quote:

Metal: i went with out my jeep for about a month, did you.. NO! its been in and out of the shop more than it should have
Toast: We have clearly both had different experiences with the day-to-day use of our KLs

Metal: if you was in my shoes you wouldnt be talking like you are
Toast: if they were I would be just as upset as you are and would have returned it...I can understand your frustration with the vehicle

Metal: the only one in the line up not having extreme silly issues is the wrangler line up
Toast: There's the down payment on that Wrangler you want to go back to. Its a great Jeep. I would recommend it.

Metal: i am totally missing your logic stating that this is acceptable
Toast: Never once did I say that it was ok for them to rip us off

Metal: even my first beater car as a teen a 78 cutlass was moe reliable
Toast (back a couple): Stop comparing them to a 20 year old XJ...[or other old car]

Metal: you only read what was posted for you to read just like everyone else
Toast: If you did any research on the purchase - this one really gets me laughing because I'm saying it was easy to find. There are complaints on CF dating back to at least January

Maybe you should actually read what other people say before getting mad at them and going on a rant.

I'm not "butt hurt" over you talking about the problems. In my mind that's what half of forums are for. That and coming up with solutions to them. I just have a problem with you treating every issue as if it were a matter of life or death and threatening that you have to get rid of it, then a couple months later doing the exact same thing when another issue comes up. My "overly positive crap" comes from first, my good experiences with the Jeep, and second, Jeep's response to any issues. I also have the belief and knowledge as an engineer and XJ owner to know that things break and they can be fixed. I don't expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter. That is the way the world works. Is it perfect? No. Is it expected? Yes.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:16 AM

Thank you for proving my point. Allow me to quote:

Metal: i went with out my jeep for about a month, did you.. NO! its been in and out of the shop more than it should have
Toast: We have clearly both had different experiences with the day-to-day use of our KLs

Metal: if you was in my shoes you wouldnt be talking like you are
Toast: if they were I would be just as upset as you are and would have returned it...I can understand your frustration with the vehicle

Metal: the only one in the line up not having extreme silly issues is the wrangler line up
Toast: There's the down payment on that Wrangler you want to go back to. Its a great Jeep. I would recommend it.

Metal: i am totally missing your logic stating that this is acceptable
Toast: Never once did I say that it was ok for them to rip us off

Metal: even my first beater car as a teen a 78 cutlass was moe reliable
Toast (back a couple): Stop comparing them to a 20 year old XJ...[or other old car]

Metal: you only read what was posted for you to read just like everyone else
Toast: If you did any research on the purchase - this one really gets me laughing because I'm saying it was easy to find. There are complaints on CF dating back to at least January

Maybe you should actually read what other people say before getting mad at them and going on a rant.

I'm not "butt hurt" over you talking about the problems. In my mind that's what half of forums are for. That and coming up with solutions to them. I just have a problem with you treating every issue as if it were a matter of life or death and threatening that you have to get rid of it, then a couple months later doing the exact same thing when another issue comes up. My "overly positive crap" comes from first, my good experiences with the Jeep, and second, Jeep's response to any issues. I also have the belief and knowledge as an engineer and XJ owner to know that things break and they can be fixed. I don't expect everything to be handed to me on a silver platter. That is the way the world works. Is it perfect? No. Is it expected? Yes.

how about stop telling folks what they can and cant compare stuff too.. you either get a good ride or junk... and this is junk... i cant help it if your in a classic state of denial... lmfao.. it is what it is , other wise we wouldnt be having this conversation now would we?? compared all my other vehicles this thing is the worst... it has good features and the flaws outweigh them... wasnt ready for the market... you must work for Chrysler or something.. the way your defending them and your purchase.. lol.. its like your being a net nanny.. anyway.. their isnt really much to talk about dealing with the KL, cant upgrade em.. so either it is junk or it functions thats the main 2 topics at hand..
Old 10-02-2015, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
how about stop telling folks what they can and cant compare stuff too.. you either get a good ride or junk... and this is junk... i cant help it if your in a classic state of denial... lmfao.. it is what it is , other wise we wouldnt be having this conversation now would we?? compared all my other vehicles this thing is the worst... it has good features and the flaws outweigh them... wasnt ready for the market... you must work for Chrysler or something.. the way your defending them and your purchase.. lol.. its like your being a net nanny.. anyway.. their isnt really much to talk about dealing with the KL, cant upgrade em.. so either it is junk or it functions thats the main 2 topics at hand..
http://www.jeepproblems.com/Cherokee/
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Cherokee/2014/

argue with that ^ i do believe it speaks for its self, isnt it nice to know the 2104 is making waves and surpasses the other jeeps with issues... add salt for flavor if you like...

Quick Reply: Teething Problems?