Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2016 Teething Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6
Default 2016 Teething Problems?

With having just turned over 1000 kms.I never thought I would be looking for answers this quick but as it's the weekend and I can't get to the dealers till tomorrow, I thought I would throw it out there.
Took the new Cherokee North on a shakedown cruise from my hometown of Nelson BC to Kelowna and back. Everything was smooth sailing till today when I went off road up some logging trails to shoot some shyte with a couple of my guns. The road was not in bad shape and I only went about 10 kms. Raining and muddy so I used the 'mud' selection. After blowing some stuff up I packed up and headed back to the highway. I noticed the selection switch had gone back to Auto with a fresh start up. No biggie I guess that's what is supposed to happen. This part of it may or may not have something to do with it, I don't know.
Back on the highway I shortly pulled up behind a slow mover truck and trailer. When I thought I had an opening I hit it and pulled out to find I did not have enough room. It had shifted into one of the many passing modes and when I backed off it stayed in that gear. Then a Service transmission warning came on along with being stuck in that gear. It was revving four or five grand at 80 or 90 kph. I pulled over and turned the engine off. Couple of minutes later I restarted and pulled out in that same gear. Drove a bit and pulled over shut down and popped the hood. Spent some time looking at fuses as this thing is soooo electronic, but didn't see anything.
Started up again and the warning was gone. (longer time for reset?) Hitting the road everything was normal again but the engine light was on. Twenty klicks later it disappeared.
I only hope this in NOT the beginning of a Not so beautiful friendship.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I believe you have taken a wrong turn somewhere. This is historically xj oem tech. You may have better luck in the kl section .
Old 09-20-2015, 07:43 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

^this...the tech is too new for most to have an answer, post in the KL section to see if anyone has had a similar issue, other than that, take it to the dealer and have them pull the codes.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Engine: V6

K. Thx guys. Don't know one from the other right now.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

The XJ is a brick, the KL has curves. I don't know what transmissions are being shipped in the international market KLs but the domestic 9-speed (ZF 9HP) has been problematic since launch requiring multiple software updates and in some cases new transmissions under warranty. Welcome to the Forum.