Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering column questionnaire galore

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Steering column questionnaire galore

Well! today was a rollercoaster of ups and downs lol. So my original intent on this entire thing was to score a cruise control system. Servo, switches and (clockspring.... we will get on this a little later). So finally after scouring 19 junkyards my plan was to go to 2 lkq yards (2 jeeps each in one yard) and the first yard that jeep was picked clean like someone didnt eat just the chicken they ate EVERYTHING so i swiped a few bolts for my tailgate cover thingy. then 3 bucks wasted and my toolbox completely ravaged through and thrown back in and is in total disarray and chaos thanks lady, i went to the next one a few blocks away and oh look a servo! sweet! so i quickly scavenged that and went to get the steering wheel and disaster!

Some ******* head completely blundered the steering wheel of this jeep and whatever he was getting broke the frickin switch and the dash. so i swiped the other side of the switch in sadness and heartbreak atleast it was easy to get to and thank god i rented a puller to get the clock spring so that atleast went somewhat well this jeep was a nest of mosquitos so got it and couldnt save the steering wheel as it was torn apart because i kinda wanted a newer one that was in good shape. then devilish me i swiped the rear wiper bolt cover and again someone destroyed the fender flare i kinda needed that was in the back because they coudnt just put the brake disc in a different spot no they had to drop it on it and crack it. AHHHH

I was thinking about swiping the power seat rail but they woulnt let me use a battery to test it and see if its broke too, so i left it and went to pay for everything only to find they cant sell clock springs! WHAT!!!! all that work was basically for nothing, So i paid for the servo and they threw the switches in for free and i left, Calling many other junkyards (11 to be exact) i finally found one that had a cherokee classic that was a 99! so i quickly zoomed over there anf took a gander at everything and it was a loaded cherokee!!!!..... sorta, was a classic but had the infinity sound system so i swiped the tweeter pods and i wish i coulda picked the jack and parts for it but he had those reserved and whoa..... the steering wheel was beautiful. complete. mesmerizing to witness had all buttons, nothing destroyed and even had a full center console so i took the console and sadly i couldnt pick the parts i had to buy the entire column but i didnt care i could use all the parts from it! so bought everything and zoomed on home to where i am now! *opens the hatch and sheds a tear*

its to beautiful to look at. anyways heres my questions

1. The clockspring! what would i have to do before i touch anything do i have to reset it? do some voodoo magic to it?

2. The tilt steering, Mine is broken and this one works. what would be the process to get it working again? i notice theres a little cable that goes in the back of it from the lever i want to pull it out but i tried on the other jeep and only broke the cable do i have to swap that entire gold part onto mine?

3. The servo should be straight forward just mount and connect.

4. anyway to clean the switches in the cracks its a wee bit sticky.

5. Does the plastic cover come off of the airbag because i want to swap that only not the airbag.

6. Any cautions i should know about? battery will be disconnected in doing this process but anything worth mentioning that i can break i hear the tabs break with ease on the clockspring but what else? Theres a video i can brush up on to do this process i just wanna make sure im not breaking much lol
Old 07-09-2018, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

My first question is were the wheels straight when you removed the steering column? Tying it down like that so the steering wheel could not spin was a good idea. You can break a clock spring that way. There is no voodoo to the clock spring as long as the wheels were mostly straight on the Jeep when the column was removed. You seem to be happy with what shape the steering wheel is in. I say just throw in the whole column in and be done. Once in swap in your air bag. Can't really remember for sure but don't think the cover comes off. Thinking it is all one piece. And while you are there you can take out and clean up the switches. Disconnect the battery before you do anything. 5 minutes is probably long enough for the capacitors, or whatever, to discharge. I let mine sit for 1/2 hour. Once all back together and the battery is connected start the Jeep from the passenger seat. When you say servo do you mean actuator? Should have gotten a bracket with that and 3, think it was 3, screws. Holes are already there. So is the plug for the actuator and the T in the vacuum line right by it that you will tap into.

Last edited by Ralph77; 07-09-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ralph77
My first question is were the wheels straight when you removed the steering column? Tying it down like that so the steering wheel could not spin was a good idea. You can break a clock spring that way. There is no voodoo to the clock spring as long as the wheels were mostly straight on the Jeep when the column was removed. You seem to be happy with what shape the steering wheel is in. I say just throw in the whole column in and be done. Once in swap in your air bag. Can't really remember for sure but don't think the cover comes off. Thinking it is all one piece. And while you are there you can take out and clean up the switches. Disconnect the battery before you do anything. 5 minutes is probably long enough for the capacitors, or whatever, to discharge. I let mine sit for 1/2 hour. Once all back together and the battery is connected start the Jeep from the passenger seat. When you say servo do you mean actuator? Should have gotten a bracket with that and 3, think it was 3, screws. Holes are already there. So is the plug for the actuator and the T in the vacuum line right by it that you will tap into.
yep got those parts already the bracket and screws and the t fitting incase lol and how hard is it to swap in the column? and when i seen it i believe they were straight but hard to say as they pulled it out and god knows what happened since lol
Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EEVEE
yep got those parts already the bracket and screws and the t fitting incase lol and how hard is it to swap in the column? and when i seen it i believe they were straight but hard to say as they pulled it out and god knows what happened since lol
That I do not know. I do know this. We had an S10 for deliveries. Had a junk one too. Steering column was screwing up. My old boss swapped the one from the junk S10 to the other in the parking lot in 20 minutes. Now I know an S10 is not a Jeep but... The only reason I am suggesting this is cause your tilt is busted. Might be easier this way.

Wish I could find an XJ with the Infinity sound system. I want the wiring harness for the whole thing. Already have the tweeters. What did they get you for them? They are plug and play in case you did not know even if your XJ does not have the Infinity system.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ralph77
That I do not know. I do know this. We had an S10 for deliveries. Had a junk one too. Steering column was screwing up. My old boss swapped the one from the junk S10 to the other in the parking lot in 20 minutes. Now I know an S10 is not a Jeep but... The only reason I am suggesting this is cause your tilt is busted. Might be easier this way.

Wish I could find an XJ with the Infinity sound system. I want the wiring harness for the whole thing. Already have the tweeters. What did they get you for them? They are plug and play in case you did not know even if your XJ does not have the Infinity system.
i got the pods i didnt get any wiring as i had to snag and grab lol and 20 bucks for both i think.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EEVEE
i got the pods i didnt get any wiring as i had to snag and grab lol and 20 bucks for both i think.
$20 was a steal. You don't need any wiring. Everything is there. Remove the door panel and plug them in. They have built in crossovers so no worries. I scored some shipped to me from St. Louis for $40 and thought that was cheap. Usually $75 to $100. Except this guy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123204940292

These will never sell. LOL. I only put them in my Ebay cart just to keep an eye on them. More LOL.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The cover will come right off the airbag after removing two clear plastic clips (they secure the horn wires) and four 10mm bolts. Two crescent-shaped metal brackets then pop off the top and bottom, and the rubber sides just pop outward to disengage. Then you can remove the airbag in two pieces - the round incendiary device and the folded-square bag unit.

I pulled my first junkyard steering wheel yesterday, and here’s a pic of the J/Y cover next to an assembled unit. I placed the crescent-shaped brackets back into their slots so you can see the orientation.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JTE Brett
The cover will come right off the airbag after removing two clear plastic clips (they secure the horn wires) and four 10mm bolts. Two crescent-shaped metal brackets then pop off the top and bottom, and the rubber sides just pop outward to disengage. Then you can remove the airbag in two pieces - the round incendiary device and the folded-square bag unit.
I pulled my first junkyard steering wheel yesterday, and here’s a pic of the J/Y cover next to an assembled unit. I placed the crescent-shaped brackets back into their slots so you can see the orientation.
That is good to know.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

FYI - The window-looking thing in the top cover is the actual horn pad. The black wire grounds to the bottom left (top right when facing the installed steering wheel) 10mm bolt and the red wire goes to the corresponding wire from the clockspring.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Alright all installed. i ended up reusing my cover as the horn button was somehow broken and i didnt wanna mess around with it, and the stupid left button screw clip broke but doesnt seem to affect performance nor feel so id say success lol. took so long to atleast hit 40 to activate it at this time. but at first it didnt work and made me angry and sad but realized i forgot to hook the throttle cable up... oops but all in all works like a charm lol that light has probably lit up for the first time ever in its life. and the new wheel is awesome its so weird on how skinny it is but i threw my cover back on because i like the thickness and wanna preserve the real steering wheel.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

also damn! i wish i wasnt so rushed to snag the tweeters i just pulled them out and ripped the wires off the speakers i may go back and get the rest hopefully i didnt ruin them i planned on putting new tweeters in these pods so i didnt have to hack in a new spot for aftermarket ones
Old 07-10-2018, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

....... I dont know how my dad does it i spent a good hour trying to get the cable out of this column and my dad magically does it on one move and get it..... *sighs* now to tear out the bottom piece and maneuver it into place as the cable is the only piece broken