Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Symptoms galore (suspecting serpintine belt)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO4.0 I6
Default Symptoms galore (suspecting serpintine belt)

Iong story short, was on my way to work (jeep chugged for a second but started just fine 0 degrees outside).

Made it about a mile before noticing that my gen light was on. Battery gauge was also down just above red.

Kept driving it as I had my first day as a probationary firefighter and needed to get to work. About 4 miles into trip I noticed that I was leaking coolant by the huge white cloud behind me, but also front left corner of the engine bay (where pressure cap is).

Kept driving looking for a place to park it when all the sudden the gen light kicked off, battery went back to normal (light got brighter) and also my temp gauge kicked up to 210 (or close to that line , but mine always runs cool for some reason, did go a bit beyond 210 but I turned it off before then)

Had to kill it and push it into a lot where I had it towed.

This morning when I got off shift I started it up and ran with the gen light showing again, but it now lacked power steering. Had it run for a little bit so I could check out the belt to see if it was spinning. Belt is spinning (although I don't know how fast - idle RPM's). Belt is also covered in antifreeze and I'm assuming that it is a bit slicker than normal. Also attempted to turn heater on when warmed up and only had cold air?

I am going to try and clean the anti freeze up, and replace both the belt and pressure cap to radiator. Also going to have battery tested. Is there any other preliminary things you guys have for me? Sorry for the long post but I appreciate all the help.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995,1997
Engine: 4.0

Check your water pump.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by wauto
Check your water pump.
Is there a way to inspect it wth out removing it?
Old 01-19-2016, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by xj guy
Is there a way to inspect it wth out removing it?

Start by taking your serp belt off and see if there's any play in the water pump's driveshaft. They usually whine/weep first though. I wonder if it's your antifreeze/water concentration? 0°F cold start could seize the pump if there's enough water in there and without coolant circulating that would eventually overheat the engine...

You might check your AF concentration and tighten the belt then see if it happens again. Easy test, at least.

Last edited by alpine.adrenaline; 01-19-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Spin all acc belt turns.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:39 PM

I replaced an alternator and had trouble with the voltage gauge showing low voltage and then it would O out. ( a tight belt sure helps )
Old 01-19-2016, 03:44 PM

The first thing I did was get my battery load tested. Came out bad so bought new battery. (Radiator cap and belt also purchased)

First thing I checked was to see if I needed more fluid from the thermostat to the radiator. No fluid in there so I just grabbed a pitcher and started to fill..... In no more than 2 minutes a small stream was coming from the radiator/lower rad hose connection. I can't see it but I'm just going to remove the front end to make it easier for all repairs (radiator, water pump, belt, thermostat, and whatever else I need to get at.

Will keep you posted.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
Start by taking your serp belt off and see if there's any play in the water pump's driveshaft. They usually whine/weep first though. I wonder if it's your antifreeze/water concentration? 0°F cold start could seize the pump if there's enough water in there and without coolant circulating that would eventually overheat the engine... You might check your AF concentration and tighten the belt then see if it happens again. Easy test, at least.
And I feel as though I had more antifreeze than water. So I don't believe it froze on me. But still possible.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj guy
The first thing I did was get my battery load tested. Came out bad so bought new battery. (Radiator cap and belt also purchased)

First thing I checked was to see if I needed more fluid from the thermostat to the radiator. No fluid in there so I just grabbed a pitcher and started to fill..... In no more than 2 minutes a small stream was coming from the radiator/lower rad hose connection. I can't see it but I'm just going to remove the front end to make it easier for all repairs (radiator, water pump, belt, thermostat, and whatever else I need to get at.

Will keep you posted.
Possible cracked tank.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM

I did identify that I have a small leak coming from my lower radiator hose to engine connection. I am unsure if it is leaking because of the hose itself, or the style clamp I have (compression) going to throw in a new hose and pick up new hose clamps for it. I'll check back in later.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

weep hole.
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
weep hole.
Perfect picture and perfect answer. I replaced the hose and clamps with no luck, and jumped back on and found a similar thread for the same issue.

Returning this damn hose and picking up a new water pump. I recently replaced the thermostat (summer) while I'm down and dirty in here is there anything else you guys think I should change out?

And also, what's your preferred clamp? The compressions or the ones you have to tighten manually?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:11 PM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/low...ew-help-34118/ Here is that other thread for any of those who end up reading mine for a similar problem.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 PM

Have everything taken apart and ready to go for tomorrow. Just have to scrape off the old gasket (too tired to deal with the nuisance tonight).

Then Just the install tomorrow of all the new parts. Is RTV blue okay for the water pump gasket or do you recommend something else?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I like compression clamps.
Check your radiator for leaks also.
It wouldn't hurt to flush engine,rad & heater core before adding new coolant at 50/50 mix.
I would use Felpro water pump gasket.
I would also change thermostat again also to be safe.
And new belt.

Last edited by madmanmarty; 01-19-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Sp

Quick Reply: Symptoms galore (suspecting serpintine belt)