Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starting issues, suspect elec.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Starting issues, suspect elec.

Having issues with gradually losing power for starting the jeep. Started about 2 weeks ago. I noticed that my starter was getting sluggish. Gave it some time to see what might happen.
Ended up replacing my R/H U-joint this weekend. While I was out working on it I had my battery charging for a good couple hours. Finished the work and drove to the store. Walked outside from the store and the starter gave me 3 chugs and proceeded to die. I still had some power, but none to the starter. LIke I had my head lights on over night. Got jumped and everything started as advertised.

Here is what I checked:

-Sears did a ck on battery, came back good.
-Volt meter at battery reading 13.8 V, so it is getting a good charge.
-Checked entire jeep for lights staying on or possible drains, nothing.
-Still had sluggish starts, put my charger on it before recharging and it is showing 100% on the battery with 13.6 V.

I am going to check the starter for corrosion and possibly being the problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Has anyone replaced the battery terminal ends on the cables?

Are the cables original?
Many times the light-gauge battery cables Jeep installed can "give-up-the-faith"

Also, check the starter connections. If they are even the slightest bit loose, dirt and grease can get in there and cause a no-contact situation.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Check the resistance from the battery termanal to the cable end. And if your battery is getting 13.6 V thats a problem it should be at a maximum of 12.6. Also if you can check the voltage getting to the starter
Old 01-06-2009, 11:52 AM

The Battery terminal conection seems to be stock along with the cables themselves. Not really any corrosion on the terminal wires or on the battery itself. I cleaned up the connections on both just in case that was the problem.

I will make sure to check the starter for corrosion and how much power the starter is receiving. I will have to do that after work today.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Next time your starter gives you troubles...I.E. sluggish start. Get underneath and tap on it with a wrench or ratchet. If it starts fine after tapping then, your starter is the culprit. When my starter started dying it would hang up when hot after driving then it would be good after cooling off. I even had it tested at 2 parts stores and it passed on their testers because the testers cannot duplicate a problem that occurs only when hot. When this starts happening it means you have a bad bearing or bushing in the starter and it will eventually just sieze on you to where tapping won't even work. So, replace it before you get to that point.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM

It was the starter.

Pretty much the power cables are starting to get too rusted up. I went under to check them out and wiggled on them a bit. Went up to test it and started like it used to. The slow chug starting was gone. This weekend I am going to pull them off, clean it, and put a nice coating of dielectric compound on each connection.

I remember my dad doing the hammer trick on a car a few years back. I am glad it didnt come to that, money I dont need to spend.

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Yeah, in our beloved XJs the heater control valve is right above the starter connections. That dumb thing leaks no matter what because it is plastic and you can't tighten it enough to prevent leaks without cracking it. So, coolant leaks down on the starter connections and corrodes them. Might want to check the hoses on your heater control valve out while you're down there cleaning the starter connections.
I'm glad you didn't have to buy a new starter, too. That was $85 I didn't want to have to spend.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 AM

I was having overheating problems a while back. I replaced the radiator reservoir because the other one decided to blow up on me. That is the culprit right there.

Still had a minor issue of heat and ended up pulling the thermostat and ran it straight. It doesn't get cold enough in Hawaii to really need it anyways.

Guess the only way around that is to build some sort of a drip guard for the starter connections.