Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stalling...89 jeep cherokee 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Stalling...89 jeep cherokee 4.0

Ok, I have read many threads regarding stalling but none seem to have the same probs I have so please give me some help with this...

Bought this Automatic 4x4 4.0 with 194k miles on it and it ran like crap and stalled and stalled and stalled....replaced the cps an it ran fine for a bit.

Then i had idle issues along with shifting issues...replaced tps and dialed it in with ohm meter...idle and shifting problems fixed.

Put almost 500 miles on it running well until yesterday when i was driving 45 and had to slow down for a light...as soon as I took my foot off the gas it stalled...shifted to neutral and restarted it like nothing...ran great until next time i used the gas pedal...soon as i decelerated it konked ou again...

So far have changed out battery and cables, scuffed up and reassembled allgrounding points, checked distributor cap and rotor (still good no corrosion or scuffing), replaced plugs and wires, adjusted throttle cable, adjusted idle up a bit to see if i could get it to stop dying (no good), checked all vacuum lines and no leaks anywhere (replaced 4 of them that had cracks but no leaks), ran seafoam and carbeurator cleane the tb and bowl under the butterfly, checked air filter and all hoses to make sure no obstructions (all fine and new airfilter)...

after all of this the only thing i can get it to do is die after i start it ow when i shift into drive (so in other words i made itworse by fixing things lol) now i start it and it runs great until i shift into drive (if i dont get on the gas pedal immediately it will die) if i do get into the pedal it drives fine until the next time i take my foot off the gas pedal...dies...shift to neutral...starts and runs fine until the next time i pull my foot off the gas pedal...it will idle fine on side of the road but at the next light t dies....

Any help orsome direction as to what I might try next...Map sensor seems to be working fine as when i take the vacuum line off it tries to die...cleaned iac with sensor cleaner!!!!

Heeellllpppp!

Last edited by pbudzy; 05-15-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Default also...

Gas tank is full and I am running seafoam in it as well!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 PM

Year: 1998

It sounds like your ignition timing may be off. If your timing isn't advancing far enough, it makes for easy starting, and no ability to run under load. Doesn't cost anything to check as long as you know somebody with a light!

Corey
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

the timeing is fixed in the 4.0,can't be adjusted.Did you try cleaning or replaceing the IAC sensor,MAP sensor?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Default yes

cleaned the iac....checked the map by unplugging the vacuum line...anyone else please help, I don't wanna just start throwing sensors at this thing, even tho it seems thats where I am headed.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 AM

Default update

this morning it is running rough and will barely keep an idle...push gas and it runs fine...take foot off gas it dies...put gas on take foot off then feather pedal feels like it wants to die but then recovers....every time will restart right away....heeelllpppp pppplllleeeaaassseeeee!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Default no avail

4 hours at Tires Plus to have the tech tell me he can't figure it out...no codes no problems with sensors that he could find...he even readjusted the tps....anyone?

edit: found out the tech adjusted the tps manually (not with an ohm meter)

Last edited by pbudzy; 05-16-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

How does the pick up in the distributor look.That little magnet in the bottom.When I pulled my distributor to change the little gasket under it, the magnet fell out.When I replaced it,made it run much better.The MAT sensor,you could try cleaning it also.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Red face PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Turns out after all that I found that my ohm meter sucks...while my ohm meter said i had the variable set at 3.8 my neighbors ohm meter said 4.1, so i adjusted it with his, took off the negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes then reinstalled, started and allowed the computer time to do its relearn procedure...walla fixed and runs and shifts and drives without stalling....you think a master mechanic would have started there...4 hours at Tires Plus and no one ever checked the adjustment on the TPS...OMG GTFO!

Anyways thanks all for your suggestions as always your input is appreciated!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee

Hmm, I think the TPS is my first stop this time. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: inline 6 4.0 lt

mine did this for the longest time and we couldnt figure out why so i learned to drive my auto with 2 feet haha then we found out the oxygen sensors were bad (O2 Sensors)

replaced those and now it runs great

i have a set of sensors if you pay for shipping ill send em.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Default Check your ground wire to your ECM, it may be disconnected!!! :-)

So I have an 89 Cherokee limited, 4.0L, A/T, 102k. Stalling at every light and at speeds over 35. I replaced, plugs,wires,cap,roter,map,iac,tps,o2 sensor, cam sensor,new distributer,new air filter,crank position sensor, seafoam in oil/intake/gas tank,fuel filter,cleaned all connections I could get to.The last thing was the ECM to clean and reinstall. They are usually dirty if things go weird in the jeep. Btw,the ECM is a pain in the butt to get the top bolts off. Almost impossible to get the flathead on one side and the racket on the other end. I did get it out and guess what? An almost brand new looking ECM, cleaned it anyway with electrical cleaner. I noticed a metal tab on the circuit board that appeared to be a ground. I couldn't find anything on the net about it, so this girl took a chance. I hooked it up to a wire with a fuse in the middle(just in case it was positive), and grounded it. I left out the screws that hold the circuit board in,covering the screw holes with duct tape(arching with screws) and covered the metal side of the circuit board case with more duct tape. I did the "Dealership ECM reset" also. Then I kicked the tires and lit the fires. She purrs like a kitten now and runs GREAT!!!! I even removed the EGR and fashioned a blocker plate from the map sensor holder. Runs a little rich, but I'm going to add on a K&N cold air system. :-)