Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sqealing pully

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L straight-six
Default Sqealing pully

I've searched hi and low and still haven't found anything. Here's the problem, my belt is either slipping on a pully or the pully itself needs to be replaced, the belt is new as of May of this year and the sqeal just started recently, within the past two days, it's never made a peep before now. Two days ago, the 9th, we got some heavy wet snow up here in Wisconsin, I loved how my jeep handles in it, couldn't have a better vehicle for it than a Jeep in my opinion.

This is the part that I have no idea about, it only sqeaks on acceleration in first gear, after it shifts into second, no sounds from the belt. When it first starts, it sqeaks a little, but not too bad. If I run it for a short while, shut it off, let it sit for a little bit, start it again, it will sqeak for the first 10 seconds maybe, but will stop and not do it again. My jeep is all stock. Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this or possibly what pully it's slipping on?

I'm a true Wisconsinite, I'm still wearing shorts and it's 30 degrees out, I'm not afraid to work out in the cold.

Also, slightly unrelated, but still on my jeep, does anyone know how much coolant the engine block holds when the radiator and heater core is completely drained? And what could cause a thick red heavy color in the coolant?
Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 AM

Year: 99

I have the same pulley/belt problem new belt as of July cause I tried belt cleaner on the last one.. don't ever use that ****.

The red crap in your radiator might be rust from inside the radiator there is a thread around here or at lest on another forum explaining its causes from certain coolant maybe some one on here will chime in about it that knows more about it then I
Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

its a jeep thing
Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl I

Most likely just a wet belt man, nothing you gotta really worry about it. I just pressure washed my engine bay yesterday and it did the same thing.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L HO

is your belt loose? if it is, tighten it. if not take the belt off and check your pulleys, see if any of them a loose, or if any of them move any way they shouldnt move. hopefully you just need to tighten your belt.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000
Engine: 4.0

X2^
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. Theres been many threads about squeeling belts here on this forum, its a common complaint. Just tighten the belt. I know, you say it is tight...tighten it some more. A little at a time till the squeeling stops. The belt on XJ's need to be very tight.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 AM

I'm pretty sure it's not just water, it's never done it before this even after I rinsed off the front of my motor last time I washed it. Thanks everyone, I'll try a couple things. Won't be until Sunday or Monday though.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by Squid
I had the same problem. Theres been many threads about squeeling belts here on this forum, its a common complaint. Just tighten the belt. I know, you say it is tight...tighten it some more. A little at a time till the squeeling stops. The belt on XJ's need to be very tight.
Listen to this advice.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Don't just tighten the belt.

Its REALLY easy to remove the belt and MAKE SURE the pullies are all spinning freely.

Don't just assume the belt isn't tight. Check everything. If you find that a pulley is bad now you will be thankful.

If they are all fine, then get it tighter. But this isn't something that should be left to assumptions.

My wife ate a belt when her idler pulley went.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 PM

It did it again tonight on the entire way home. I'll take a look at it tomorrow morning. Just loosen the tension pulley and it should slip off, right? I'm someone who hasn't had tons of hands on work with vehicles, but I am capable of learning how to do it.