Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sorry to bug you guys .......

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 88 cherokee
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default sorry to bug you guys .......

i got some radiator flush and started it up and went to 3k rpms once it got warm it went down to 1000 rpm then all of a sudden started running rough went to back it up hit the brakes and no brakes . pumped them and they worked . ck the vac hose for the brakes and it is connected . started looking around and saw what looks like a second vac nipple coming off the egr . i have the one coming off the dashpot part of the egr going where it should .put my finger down by the opening and its blowing out air .. i am lost now any ideas as to where to look now
Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Using the attached diagram, show us where this leak is.
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Year: 88 cherokee

what that diagram doesnt dhow is the vacuum transducer which i didnt have on the car put it on and all is almost well . just doesnt go back to idle once you press on the gas peddle . i can take it back to idle with my hand . what might be hanging up . i cleaned the throttle body when i had her apart .
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Hopefully, nobody ever screwed with the throttle body stop screw. If they did, use this to get it back to stock.

Cruiser’s Renix Throttle Body Butterfly Adjustment
Okay. Let's start from scratch. First off, that's not an idle adjustment screw. It's a throttle butterfly stop screw. It's purpose is to allow the butterfly to be as close to completely closed as it can be without binding or wearing into the throttle body. It was never intended to be adjusted in the field. But, Uncle bob didn’t know that, did he?

Engine off. Back off the butterfly stop screw with a 3/32" allen wrench until the butterfly is completely closed. Now. turn the screw in until the FAINTEST movement of the butterfly opening is detected. This can be done more easily with the throttle body removed. If you remove the throttle body, be sure to replace the gasket underneath it after thoroughly cleaning the old one off.
Revised 07/07/2012
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Hopefully, nobody ever screwed with the throttle body stop screw. If they did, use this to get it back to stock.

Cruiser's Renix Throttle Body Butterfly Adjustment
Okay. Let's start from scratch. First off, that's not an idle adjustment screw. It's a throttle butterfly stop screw. It's purpose is to allow the butterfly to be as close to completely closed as it can be without binding or wearing into the throttle body. It was never intended to be adjusted in the field. But, Uncle bob didn't know that, did he?

Engine off. Back off the butterfly stop screw with a 3/32" allen wrench until the butterfly is completely closed. Now. turn the screw in until the FAINTEST movement of the butterfly opening is detected. This can be done more easily with the throttle body removed. If you remove the throttle body, be sure to replace the gasket underneath it after thoroughly cleaning the old one off.
Revised 07/07/2012
Where have I seen that issue before? Lol. The dpo "damn previous owner" of my jeep ruined the stop screw in mine. The only way I could fix it, was to carefully bend the throttle tab back. I dumped so much money into sensor on my jeep, and that stop screw was my issue lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM

Uncle Clem or Cousin Melvin was probably helping the DPO out.