Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Smokin' Brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Smokin' Brake

Looks like I'm gonna learn how to do the front brakes on my 99 Cherokee. The drivers side started smoking this morning during my commute. Bad enough that the rotor was glowing red! First I need to get it home. What can I do to limp it home without really bad things happening, like fires. Other than the tow truck. Suggestions? Then, are there specific tools needed for a brake job for a Cherokee? And does anyone have a parts/material list for a front brake job? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:49 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Brakes are kinda important safety wise. If you are nervous about driving it, then get it towed. If calling a tow truck is to pricey for you, get a friend with a trailer to tow you, or get a tow dolly and a truck. Sounds like you may have a stuck caliper, but the only way to know whats really going on is to do a full inspection. If you don't have the proper tools, take it to a shop. To do this the proper way, you'll need a brake rotor micrometer, a lateral runout mic, all the various tools to take everything apart, and a good base knowledge of what you're doing. If you have never done brakes before, either study up or take it to a shop, your life and the lives around you are more important. If you really still want to tackle this, I recommend getting a FSM (factory service manual) for your year specific jeep. It has all the info you'll need to do it properly. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Thanks Roninofako. I have AAA, so probably I'll have to use them. I've done brakes a few times, just not on the Jeep. I bought it in December, and I bought a manual from the parts store. But I'm not sure it qualifies as a FSM! I will be tackling the job myself. And, it sounds like new rotors, and maybe calipers are in order. Also, possibly brake lines. So, I still need to come up with a parts/tool list.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

If it is a stuck caliper just buy a set of loaded caliper from Rock Auto. Loaded mean caliper with pads pre installed and new hardware. Brake Masters wanted to charge me some ridiculous amount just to rebuild the stock calipers on my TJ
Old 03-25-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Keith 99
Thanks Roninofako. I have AAA, so probably I'll have to use them. I've done brakes a few times, just not on the Jeep. I bought it in December, and I bought a manual from the parts store. But I'm not sure it qualifies as a FSM! I will be tackling the job myself. And, it sounds like new rotors, and maybe calipers are in order. Also, possibly brake lines. So, I still need to come up with a parts/tool list.
AAA is worth every penny, LOL....great to have when you own an older jeep. Since you've done brakes before, just get in there and do a full inspection before you start ordering parts. Check for parallel variation, nominal thickness, and runout on the rotor, you may be able to save it by machining if it's within spec. As far as the caliper goes, it may be a stuck piston, it might just be corroded where it slides. A clean up and lubrication may solve the issue. Pads may be ok, but if they got that hot, you might just replace, but a good inspection is warranted before anything else. Which manual did you get? I prefer a FSM over chiltons or haynes only because that's what they used at the factory, doesn't get any better than that IMHO....
Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Looks like I'm gonna learn how to do the front brakes on my 99 Cherokee. The drivers side started smoking this morning during my commute. Bad enough that the rotor was glowing red! First I need to get it home. What can I do to limp it home without really bad things happening, like fires. Other than the tow truck. Suggestions? Then, are there specific tools needed for a brake job for a Cherokee? And does anyone have a parts/material list for a front brake job? Thanks in advance for your help.
If they got that hot I would inspect the rotors really close and make sure that they didn't warp. Also with that much heat I would not trust reusing the brake pads again. All of that heat can cause the pads to crack and glaze and to be brittle. Just be safe and replace the pads and possibly the rotor. Also if you have to change out the drivers side play it smart and change out the passenger side too. If not you may have it pull to one side when you put it back together.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM

I don't remember for sure, but I think I got a Chilton manual. I can't see it from my desk at work! One of my concerns is over heating the rotor. Some I've known, argue that if it's overheated, it need to be replaced. The worst part is I have to clean out my shop, fix a MG clutch issue, and do a dump run, just to get the Jeep inside to take it apart! Oh well, I've been wanting to do some work in there anyway! Do you know where I can find a FSM?

Thanks Robert, didn't see your post until after I hit post for this one!

Last edited by Keith 99; 03-25-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: To catch up with Robert's post!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I don't remember for sure, but I think I got a Chilton manual. I can't see it from my desk at work! One of my concerns is over heating the rotor. Some I've known, argue that if it's overheated, it need to be replaced. The worst part is I have to clean out my shop, fix a MG clutch issue, and do a dump run, just to get the Jeep inside to take it apart! Oh well, I've been wanting to do some work in there anyway! Do you know where I can find a FSM?

Thanks Robert, didn't see your post until after I hit post for this one!
Not a problem.
Yeah the Chilton manual are pretty much garbage when you need real detailed info. There are a few treads on here where you can get a FSM. Unfortunately I don't remember the site. Maybe someone can post the site. I do know that they have the fsm in a pdf for mat and it was pretty cheap too. Yeah I have seen many rotor warp after heating up that bad. I have even seen many develop crack soon after.

Edit;
I found this site that has some pretty good info and there is a free section with a lot of good info that you might want to check out.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...?utm_source=cj

Last edited by RTorrez1; 03-25-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: To ad a web site.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:24 PM

I'll post a link for a FSM after I get home from school. ..
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 PM

Here you go...money well spent if you ask me
http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html
Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Bad enough that the rotor was glowing red!
Unit bearing won't last much longer.