Front Brake pads running hot on 2002 Jeep Cherokee. Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Cherokee
Default Front Brake pads running hot on 2002 Jeep Cherokee. Help

Hello,

I changed the front brake pads on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently.

Afterwards, the front right brake started running hot to the point of causing a burning smell.

I removed the tire and disassembled the brake pad and saw nothing wrong.

I bought the new brake pads from Auto Zone, and assumed that they gave me the correct pads.

When I put the pads back on, the wheel spins ok. A little bit of scraping however, but it did not seem to have much resistance.

I drove the Jeep around for about 15 to 20 minutes and took it back to my drive way. Did not detect a smell, and the wheel was not hot.

I touched the front brake discs (both sides) and noted that they were warm to hot to the touch.

I felt the rear brake discs and they were cool.

It appears that I installed them correctly.

Three questions come to my mind: can overfilling the brake fluid cause the discs to touch. And, will the disc wear in, and also, is it possible that I was sold the wrong disc. The Pads I bought had were thick.

I appreciate any help or advise please.

Thank you,

Mike Ange
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Old 09-19-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Your brakes, being a friction part of your vehicle, will be hot as long as there's no smoke it should be ok!! You really shouldn't have any scraping brake pads to rotors when not applying the brakes the rotor should be able to spin slightly but not completely freely and if your rotors are hot and the rear are not that means your brakes are set more to the front than the rear. Your rears really are just there to slow down the drive wheels and your fronts are there to stop you!! the burning smell should only be there with new pads since they're in there brake in period. Hope this helps!!

No overfilling the brake fluid will not cause them touch itll just slow the flow of the brake fluid or completely stop the flow of brake fluid!!
Parts guy can sell you the wrong part, but if everything installed right and is working right and after 50 miles everything feels smells and looks good leave it.

Originally Posted by mange1234
Hello,

I changed the front brake pads on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently.

Afterwards, the front right brake started running hot to the point of causing a burning smell.

I removed the tire and disassembled the brake pad and saw nothing wrong.

I bought the new brake pads from Auto Zone, and assumed that they gave me the correct pads.

When I put the pads back on, the wheel spins ok. A little bit of scraping however, but it did not seem to have much resistance.

I drove the Jeep around for about 15 to 20 minutes and took it back to my drive way. Did not detect a smell, and the wheel was not hot.

I touched the front brake discs (both sides) and noted that they were warm to hot to the touch.

I felt the rear brake discs and they were cool.

It appears that I installed them correctly.

Three questions come to my mind: can overfilling the brake fluid cause the discs to touch. And, will the disc wear in, and also, is it possible that I was sold the wrong disc. The Pads I bought had were thick.

I appreciate any help or advise please.

Thank you,

Mike Ange
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Last edited by 98XJSPORTSATINJADED; 09-19-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

New pads and rotors will smell weird for a little while. Especially new rotors that have a protective coating on them fresh out of the box.