Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

slight death wobble and notchy steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default slight death wobble and notchy steering

I've had my 98 XJ for about 8 months now. When I got it, i knew there was a death wobble so I replaced the track bar and that seemed to work over the winter. Not really sure if temperature has anything to do with it but the death wobble is now back and worse. Nearly threw me off the freeway a couple days ago... A more recent development is that at low speeds taking sharp turns, the steering is notchy. I'm assuming these things are connected. I jacked up the front end and couldn't really feel any play up/down or left/right which almost worries me more.

Rather than replacing all of the wear components in the steering system, I figured I'd try and get some help with a diagnosis.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Your post speaks a lot if you have a lot of worn things in the steering like you indicate (*wear components) in the steering. If several of those things are indeed in need of replacement "by small amounts" could cause your problem all added together.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Four Point Slow

The "notchy" steering could be a sticky front axle Ujoint. That caused mine. Ujoints probably wouldn't cause your death wobble though. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Makarov
The "notchy" steering could be a sticky front axle Ujoint. That caused mine. Ujoints probably wouldn't cause your death wobble though. Good luck.
Interesting. I have the same issue with low-speed turns (5-15 mph), and it results in a pulsing in the steering wheel as I wind and unwind it. It doesn't do it when stopped, so I don't think it has anything to do with the hydraulic system. It appears to happen faster than once per revolution of the wheel, though I haven't measured it specifically.

No death wobble, though. The truck is smooth as butter all the way up to 100 mph. On a closed circuit, of course.

Is there an good way to test if the U-joints are moving freely? Perhaps jacking up the front end, turning the wheel to full lock, and spinning the tire by hand?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this thread back from the dead as I've decided to dump some time and money into the old girl.

It seemed like the death wobble cause was actually a bad tire. A new set of tires did fix it for quite a while but now it's back again. Not terrible (although I haven't had it on a highway in a while, no longer a DD) but it's back. It tends to come on from the typical pothole hit at 40mph+, shakes for about 5 oscillations and then goes away. Very rarely does it result in my having to bring it to a complete stop.

Things I've done in the front end:
-Track bar (long time ago, see post 1)
-Steering stabilizer (cheap quick band aid)
-U joints and wheel bearings (was absolutely the cause of the notchy steering)
-Both lower control arms
-Professionally verified that the ball joints and tie rod ends were in good shape (very trustworthy shop)

So, is there anything else it could be besides another bad tire or the upper control arms? If not, how much of a PITA is it to do the axle side bushings?

Edit: that shop also checked the alignment and tire balance. Both checked out okay.

Last edited by rheacox; 10-26-2020 at 08:12 AM.