Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel shake at 30mph-40mph?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Wheel shake at 30mph-40mph?

So my xj shake pretty damn hard between 30mph-40mph. Doesnt shake below 30 and if i accelerate past 40 it will stop shaking.

How does it shake? Well the steering wheel shakes back and forth and the shaking seems to be coming from the front wheels. From what I understand it is comparable to what happens at the begining of death wobble but as i mentioned once I accelerate past 40mph it no longer shakes. Once it starts to shake, if i try to slow down it will continue shaking until almost at a complete stop.

From my internet research it seems as though it could be a drive line issue. I have checked for play in the driveshafts and there doesnt seem to be any indication that the ujoints are bad. Also ive checked for play in the steering area and there doesnt appear to be any play in the track bars or steering components.

It does have what looks to be a 3-4'' lift so I was thinking possibly needs a TC lowering kit?

I am going to rotate the tires and see if that could be the issue. From there I will check the ball joints....If thats not the issue than ill pull the rear driveshaft and then the front if needed.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any better idea of what I should look for or focus on?
Anyone ever been in this situation?

Need to get this taken care of asap. like within the next week

Let me reiterate that I dont believe this is death wobble acording to what ive read. From what I understand death wobble starts and then doesnt stop until the vehicle is basically not moving. The shaking i am experiencing totally stops if I hit the gas and accelerate past 40mph. ZERO shaking past 40mph

Last edited by oxnfoxfox; 01-16-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM

Check your steering dampener.
I'm new here myself but, my front end alinement tech told me 99% of the death wobble starts there.
**G**
Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

You have the classic Death Wobble. It is caused by worn steering parts, generally a worn track bar bushing. But it could be any of them. Have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look at all the joints in the steering system. Any movement of components without movement of the affected part indicates you need to replace that part
Old 01-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
You have the classic Death Wobble. It is caused by worn steering parts, generally a worn track bar bushing. But it could be any of them. Have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look at all the joints in the steering system. Any movement of components without movement of the affected part indicates you need to replace that part
Is it death wobble tho? From what I understand once you get the death wobble you cant just accelerate through it like i can. There is a difference from a wheel shimmy/shake and death wobble.

Once it starts shaking all i have to do is hit the gas and once I pass 40mph there is NO wobble or shake or anything. But if i slow back down to that 30-40mph range then it will shake and not stop until im almost stopped.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

There are instances of people that accelerate through it, if you have the guts
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
There are instances of people that accelerate through it, if you have the guts
I was under the impression that if its true death wobble then once it starts it continues no matter what speed youre at...until you stop at least
Old 01-17-2019, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Check your front suspension and steering joints, you will see
Old 02-06-2019, 08:24 PM

UPDATE

I replaced all my tie rods, steering dampner, got an alignment and the shimmy is almost gone however not quite... Whereas before it would shake very badly between 30-45mph if i hit a bump now it does it randomly but still at the same speed. When it does start to shake it isnt nearly as bad. Before it was a certainty that if i drove 30-45mph and hit a bump it would shake but now itll kinda just show up out of now where.

I had purchased a KOR track bar which I was going to install but after getting under the jeep and checking everything out the existing track bar seems fine and it also appears it is not the stock trackbar however it is also not adjustable.

Should I just go ahead and install the new KOR adjustable track bar or should I look into possibly replacing the ball joints?

I know most of you will say "Just throw on the new track bar" But if i dont need it then id like to just return it and get my 400$ back

additionally if I replace the track bar will i need to get an alignment again? I just paid 120$ for the alignment and i really dont wanna have to pay that again.

Last edited by oxnfoxfox; 02-06-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Check your steering box and the mounting . and check the angle of the steering rod and the track bar .the angle needs to be the same .
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM

could you expand on this a little. mechanically inclined but never fooled around with a steering box and kinda lost in what youre talking about
Old 02-06-2019, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

There's a spacer that sits under the steering box that likes to fall apart and the steering box will start to move on the frame . and check the out put shaft that when you turn the steering box that it doesn't wobble .
Old 02-06-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by tech
There's a spacer that sits under the steering box that likes to fall apart and the steering box will start to move on the frame . and check the out put shaft that when you turn the steering box that it doesn't wobble .
but would that steering box movement cause symptoms similar to death wobble?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM

also looking at the breakdown of the alignment that the shop gave me....they charges me 120$ and the breakdown shows that they adjusted the rear wheel toe but from what i understand it cannot be adjusted. Please someone explain to me if i got ripped off and if so how should i explain this to the shop in hopes of getting some kind of refund
Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by oxnfoxfox
but would that steering box movement cause symptoms similar to death wobble?
yes it can
Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0 HO

I just bought new rims and tires and the shop mounted/balanced the tires but they had a bad wobble at 45 mph and I could drive through it and it stopped around 53 mph. I would ask to have your tire balance checked again. I went back today and they were able to balance better and most of the wobble is gone. Could be worth a shot in your case too