Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering Wheel Vibrations / Near Death

Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Steering Wheel Vibrations / Near Death

So I have an intermittent problem with steering wheel vibrations. I took it to a shop about three weeks ago after I noticed vibrations right at 55 mph. They rotated the tires and put a new steering stabilizer on (band aid). Anyways I can still feel the muted vibrations so I know the problem is still there and it seems another one is popping up. If I hit a strange enough bump on the freeway my steering wheel will oscillate wildly until I slow down. However the other day I had to pull off the left lane at 70 mph in traffic because it would not stop and the car was vibrating worse than I had ever seen before. I do not know if this is death wobble, my car is lifted two inches but I did lower the tcase. Anybody have any opinions?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 L

Sounds like you have a case of death wobble. Not a fun feeling... have you checked your tie rods/ball joints/ujoints?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

If the front end shakes violently and it feels like the whole front end is about to fall apart. I would say that you have the death wobble... It can be caused by a number of things. Personally I wouldn't go back to the mechanic that put on the steering dampener. Like you said yourself it is only a band aid and if the mechanic figured that was how to repair it he's not very knowledgeable about front end problems. Anyways do a quick search on here and you will find several write ups on what can and will cause the death wobble and what to do to repair it.