Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rust Under Battery Tray -Repair Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Rust Under Battery Tray -Repair Advice

1995 XJ Rust Under Battery
Good Morning,

I have a 1995 XJ sport that has a large rust hole under the battery tray (please see attached pic). For the most part, the Jeep is in very good shape (needs painted) but I would like to get this rust spot fixed before winter comes. I was looking for advice on the best way to fix this (buy 16 guage metal and weld it in, find a donor car to get the metal from, Order new metal online, etc). My preference would be to find new metal online that is already shaped to this area in order to cut and weld but I have not had luck in find the proper panel. Thank you for all your help!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

donor and cut and weld
Old 10-28-2018, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

You can simply rebuild the area with Bondo Hair, Fibre-Strand, Tiger Hair (all different brands of the same idea - fiber reinforced resin). You'll need something to scaffold the gaping areas to provide backing for the new material to lay on. I use this epoxy pipe repair tape (hardware store) it is like a mesh tape (think ace bandage for pipes) that once exposed to the air gets rock hard. I lay that over the void and let it harden, then the other material can be layed over it.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001

As stated if your looking for a factory type metal panel then a donor body and cut what you need out of it a nd weld into yours after some cut and trim. I would recommend a good spot weld drill bit and go to the factory seam on the bottom and then the factory seem on the wheel tube just in front of spring perch drill out the factory spot welds if you check out my build thread I replaced the very section you need to replace mine from crash damage but same none the less not a real big deal but will need some time to tackle!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
You can simply rebuild the area with Bondo Hair, Fibre-Strand, Tiger Hair (all different brands of the same idea - fiber reinforced resin). You'll need something to scaffold the gaping areas to provide backing for the new material to lay on. I use this epoxy pipe repair tape (hardware store) it is like a mesh tape (think ace bandage for pipes) that once exposed to the air gets rock hard. I lay that over the void and let it harden, then the other material can be layed over it.
Only if you wish to not keep it and want to flog it. Fibreglass is never a replacement for metal and can hold moisture.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

I would get some sheet metal, mold it, pound it into shape. Then clean up the rust with a wire brush on a drill. Then treat the area with Naval jelly. Do this on both sides, above and bellow. Prime the area with weld thru primer. And finally take it to a welding shop and have them weld on the sheet metal.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:51 PM

Model: Cherokee

I have the same problem but not quite as large, hole wise. I am gonna kill the rust the best I can and lay a metal patch panel over it and most like gonna rivet it with steel pop rivets. I found the patch panel at tractor supply which lowes and home depot also have.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:57 PM

Thank you for all the comments. It’s been a busy week so I have not been able to respond to all the great ideas. I was lucky enough to find a guy locally who has a small XJ junkyard. He has the metal peice to match. So, I am going to go that route and either pop rivet it or weld it in. Hopefully this will be completed in the next two weeks. Then, I can move on with the floor pans and rockers.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: Renix 4.0

I would personally use it as an opportunity to install these, however the modification required is quite extensive.

https://www.tntcustoms.com/jeep_part...xj_tnt_customs
Install Instructions

Last edited by craigjacob1; 11-03-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:35 AM

Thank you! I didn’t know this existed. I am still going to get the replacement peice (as I committed to buy) but I may go the route you suggested....decisions decisions.

On a side note, does anyone know how the front panel bolts are tied into the fender? I took the front panel off to access the rust better and noticed that one bolt was already broken and the other I broke while taking it apart. I want to replace these bolts when I put the front panel back on.

Last edited by Yellowlimited93; 11-03-2018 at 07:39 AM.