Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rubbing / Trimming and Flare Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rubbing / Trimming and Flare Suggestions

Hey everybody, I just finished installing my new Rough Country 6.5" Long Arm kit last week and now it is on to the next step. I got a few questions for you guys before I go any farther. Question one... I have the 6.5" lift kit with 33" tires on rims that are 10" wide with 4.5" backspacing and 1" wheel spacers which basically make it 3.5" backspacing. I haven't even flexed it out at all and just sitting on pavement the tires will rub the fender in the area behind the wheel when I turn all the way to the right or left. Rough Country claims the kit will clear 33s with no trimming but we all know I will probably have to trim so they don't rub when I am flexed out. I figured I would have to trim some but I didn't think the tires would rub on road. Do you guys think they are rubbing because 10" is kind of too wide for a rim? What is everyone running... is 10" wider than normal or about normal? Question two... I know there are quite a few write ups out there on how to trim your fenders. Is there any that you guys have found that seem to be better than others or have worked really well for you? And last but not least I figure I am going to have to invest in some new flares in the future to avoid getting pulled over. Can you guys list all the flare brands there are out there. I know about Bushwhacker and I am actually not that found of them. They seem to be VERY expensive and for some reason I just don't like the look / shape of them. Call me weird but there is something I can't quite put my finger on that I don't like. They almost make the wheel wells look too big and out of proportion in my opinion. I have also looked into Rusty's which are OK but not my favorite either. I am actually considering putting TJ rear flares on both the front and back like some others have done. I think they look pretty sweet and are a good price. Here is a pic of someone else who has done this. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../TJFlares5.jpg Are there any other flare brands out there or other custom things you guys have done? Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Bump... wrong time to post a thread LOL
Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

it's kind of funny, because there are a lot of kits out there that say they can fit 33's without trimming, but then almost everybody with those kits reports that they rub. i almost want to say that if you plan on running 33's at all, some minor trimming is required. and bumpstops will also help with that when out on the trail.

if you don't like the Bushwackers or Rusty's flares, the TJ rear flares always look good. another one some guys do is rear flares off an MJ (the Comanche pickup). the TJ or MJ flares are best if you want a stock look.

as for trimming instructions... many a site with brief how-to's on the subjects. this site here gives you a bit of an idea of what you are getting into when you trim finders: http://rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm
Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I ran a 10" rim for a year or two but I'm wondering why you are running a spacer with 4.5" of backspacing. I would think half the tire would stick out halfway past the flares. But who am I to talk, I run full widths without flares. Take off the spacers and I bet they won't rub as bad or at all on the road, the trail is another story.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Seasoned Member

it's kind of funny, because there are a lot of kits out there that say they can fit 33's without trimming, but then almost everybody with those kits reports that they rub. i almost want to say that if you plan on running 33's at all, some minor trimming is required. and bumpstops will also help with that when out on the trail.

if you don't like the Bushwackers or Rusty's flares, the TJ rear flares always look good. another one some guys do is rear flares off an MJ (the Comanche pickup). the TJ or MJ flares are best if you want a stock look.

as for trimming instructions... many a site with brief how-to's on the subjects. this site here gives you a bit of an idea of what you are getting into when you trim finders: http://rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm
Yeah I figured even though they said the kit would clear 33s I would still have to trim. Like you said it seems like everybody does. I agree with the statement some minor trimming is always required. Thanks for the suggestion on the MJ flares! I will look into those as well. Also thanks for the link on the how to for cutting flares. I have one question, I read somewhere it is better to cut many short vertical lines in the metal and then bend each piece back so when you are done you have a rounded edge rather than a sharper one that will cut up your tires. I suppose thats why they put on Protekto Trim in that writeup which seems pretty nice as well. I wonder which method is better.

I ran a 10" rim for a year or two but I'm wondering why you are running a spacer with 4.5" of backspacing. I would think half the tire would stick out halfway past the flares. But who am I to talk, I run full widths without flares. Take off the spacers and I bet they won't rub as bad or at all on the road, the trail is another story.
Not quite that much sticks out but close. So wait you are saying you think it will rub less when turning without the spacers? Could you elaborate a little more on that... I thought it would be the opposite. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the spacers if that was the case.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

With then sticking out farther it increases the turning radius and makes them come back farther. Taking the spacers off will decrease that radius.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Well, a 10" wide wheel with the same offset of a 8" wheel will be different, I woudl recommend selling the 10" and getting some 8" wheels. Plus, when you air down, you will have more squat for the tires.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 AM
Seasoned Member

With then sticking out farther it increases the turning radius and makes them come back farther. Taking the spacers off will decrease that radius.
Hmm that does make sense now that I think about it. Thanks for pointing that out man! I will try removing those and see if that stops the rubbing on road. As far as trimming and flares I was just doing a little bit of research and it turns out that the MJ flares are bigger than the stock XJ rears but are the same as the XJ fronts. I have a feeling that I am going to have to increase the size of the fronts as well since I am running a long arm lift so I am still leaning towards TJ flares. The seem to look really nice if you really take your time to make the fit correctly. Is there anywhere online that you guys know of where I can purchase 4 rear TJ flares without having to buy the fronts as well or am I restricted to the local junk yards which are pretty sparse.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, a 10" wide wheel with the same offset of a 8" wheel will be different, I woudl recommend selling the 10" and getting some 8" wheels. Plus, when you air down, you will have more squat for the tires.
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. I may sell the 10" since they are also 17" and cost a fortune to buy tires for. I got them for free so I figured I would give them a try.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

Originally Posted by Cliff
I have one question, I read somewhere it is better to cut many short vertical lines in the metal and then bend each piece back so when you are done you have a rounded edge rather than a sharper one that will cut up your tires. I suppose thats why they put on Protekto Trim in that writeup which seems pretty nice as well. I wonder which method is better.
yeah, on the rear. because there are small dimples that are welds (which you will see when you get to them) that should not be cut off! what you do is cut the lines between each spot weld and fold the flaps back up into the wheel well. some guys weld them in place to hold them there, and some just let them hang. if you know how to weld, i'd say weld them up in the well (keeps them from breaking off if a lot of dirt and rocks come flying into the wheel well).