Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator leak. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Default Radiator leak. Where to start?

97 XJ 98k miles
Been dripping a bit for a while and seems very watery. Today the outside temp went up and seemed to drip more than what was "normal." Normally the puddle is to the driver side and a few inches in diameter. Ive read quite a bit about XJ rad leaks and know its common but Ive also read about checking other things first, about how when its warm outside certian leaks will get worse. Does this look like a standard cracked rad or just a bad line? Its so messy in there its hard to track it. Look at something first? Or just go ahead and order a new rad as this one is doomed? If so what rad should I get? Oem? I havent found a consensus on the issue.
I havent said rad that much since the 8th grade.
Will have a few pics in a bit.

Last edited by Leftjab13; 03-29-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Could be a radiator leak or water pump or something as simple as cracked tubing or reservoir. You'll have to get in it, clean everything off and find the leak the old fashioned way..with your eyes and hands.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999

Rad story bro.

Check the upper and lower radiator hoses, overflow bottle, and the water pump weep hole first. If they're not leaking, i'd just go ahead and replace the radiator.

I personally just changed out my radiator, and i bought the one Advanced Auto carried. I didn't get all fancy. Works perfect. Temperature never even hits 210 degrees.

If you have an advanced auto near you order online.

I personally would change out the Thermostat, Thermostat Housing, Radiator, Water Pump, Upper & Lower Radiator hoses, and the pickup tube while i was in there. Sounds expensive, but it's like $150 for all that. Use gaskets and not RTV.

Once you get all that in your cart on the website punch in the code "A124" in the coupon code thing. Should save you like $50 if not more.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Leaks are difficult for us to help you with. Gotta put in your time. Get underneath the front of the vehicle with a good light and a warm engine with a fully pressurized cooling system. Pics don't really help much with this.

Hoses, water pump (check weep hole) and radiator (especially plastic seams on OEM style radiators) would be primary suspects. Remember that fluids will "migrate" to the lowest spot before they leak onto the ground so where the coolant is on the ground doesn't mean that the leak is directly above it.

Small leaks can turn into catastrophic leaks in a hurry so get this resolved. Otherwise, you'll have bigger fish to fry.

Don't be hesitant to replace your cooling system parts. For about $250 or so, you can replace every single part assuming that you provide the labor. Dollar for dollar, there is no better money spent than that spent on cooling system maintenance. If you get an overheat and blow a head gasket or worse, you'll wish you had spent the money up front. Food for thought.

Good luck!

Last edited by tjwalker; 03-29-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just added pics too.
This is what I am looking for though, a good list to go off of. But I have a feeling, even with the pics, that I am in for an adventure to track this down.
I am inching closer to replacing the whole cooling system but I dont want to be wasteful with time and money if a part is good.

Last edited by Leftjab13; 03-29-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Leftjab13
Thanks for the replies. I just added pics too.
This is what I am looking for though, a good list to go off of. But I have a feeling, even with the pics, that I am in for an adventure to track this down.
I am inching closer to replacing the whole cooling system but I dont want to be wasteful with time and money if a part is good.
Honestly if that's the original stuff on that jeep with 100k miles, it's not a bad idea just to replace it all.

Shun me for telling you to spend "unnecessary money", but when you install a new radiator, and a month later the water pump goes out, you're going to be kicking yourself for not spending the extra $30 when you had it all apart.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

All the new parts u've installed......put those on the "do not replace list". All the old parts u have not replaced......put those on the "to be replaced list". That way u won't waste time or money replacing newer parts.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM

That made me laugh. But its probably true! Im looking around for radiators but there are quite a few. Any suggestions? The Advanced one (Ready-Rad) has quite a few reviews that its not a direct fit. Did you have any issues HudsoN?
Appreciate the reality check guys.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 PM

Year: 2000 1997
Default Mines even stranger

I jacked my 2000 up to change out the shocks and antifreeze leaked out of the frame rails in 3 or 4 differant places still trying to figure that one out.I replaced everything in the cooling system after the deer impact so its all new.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

That made me laugh. But its probably true! Im looking around for radiators but there are quite a few. Any suggestions? The Advanced one (Ready-Rad) has quite a few reviews that its not a direct fit. Did you have any issues HudsoN?
FWIW, we installed a Spectra Premium rad from AutoZone.....perfect "drop-in" fit.

Remember, unless u enjoy draining/refilling the rad several times, if u replace the rad, water pump, t-stat and hoses at the same time, u only do 1 drain/refill.

Oh, and I'm glad u have a sense of humor. Good luck but u probably don't need luck.....always lots of help/advice here.

Last edited by djb383; 03-29-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member

That's the one i got and it dropped right into my 99 XJ.

I also forgot to mention that i changed out the fan clutch while i was in there and both of the heater core hoses. (actually changed those out when i did my head job.)
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 AM

Radiator from advanced has been ordered. Decent discounts too. Time to start a collection of new parts over the next couple of weeks. Water pump, radiator (coolant), hoses, thermostat, clean out heater core (CLR), and WHAT ELSE? Dont want to forget anything. Also, any specific tools I should have around?
Also, Ive seen various write-ups/how-tos on this but does anyone have a preferred one? Maybe specific to 97 4.0?