Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

radiator installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default radiator installation

So my Radiator started going to S**t and was leaking coolant out of the "face?" (side by the fan) so i called up the junkyard they wanted 65 for used one along with my one that is busted...hmmm well i found a new one online for 75 bucks so thats what i went with...any tricks or tips you can lend me when putting this radiator in? how does the "burping" process go? thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

Radiators on these things are a piece of cake. Literally as simple as it looks. As far as burping it goes, I normally fill the radiator with a 50/50 mix, start up the engine with the rad cap off, and eventually see bubbles. Add fluid as necessary, and when the bubbles stop, you're good to go.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

91 and newer xjs are open system not closed like 90 and below normal fill instructions should be used fill start xj run until thermostat opens fill again install cap fill overflo bottle to full mark and drive it like you stole it ..lol...
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998

I've replaced two and they were pretty uncomplicated as rad swaps go. They evacuate air pretty easily, unlike ones such as Subarus that require a process to do and can be a major pain in the a$$. This is a good time to evaluate the shape of your hoses and replace older ones. Also, I'm a major advocate of installing a transmission cooler. These can be bought for under $50 new (you don't need the largest capacity ones as we generally don't do much heavy towing with these vehicles), can be installed inline at the fittings right at the radiator, and this is a great time to do it as they are best installed right in front of the a/c condenser and you're servicing this part of the XJ. My XJs have 175,000 and 238,000 and are on the original transmissions partially due to having coolers installed.

One thing I've noticed with aftermarket rads is that the fit may be off by a millimeter or two. It always ends up ok, but is noticeable where it fits on the bottom on the corners, primarily the side mounted tanks. This is not an uncommon issue with aftermarket parts (being most of them are made in foreign countries like China) as it is a known issue with aftermarket body components regardless of make of vehicle.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

just replaced mine as well, only issues I had were the slots on the bottom for the tabs of the fan shrouds to mount in. looked ok until mounted then the curve on the bottom of the shrounds would not fit in the gap for the curve between the mounts. (did that makes sense?) pair of pliers and bent the corner of the radiator tab mounts down and out the way and everything fit after.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Mrjw1996
So my Radiator started going to S**t and was leaking coolant out of the "face?" (side by the fan) so i called up the junkyard they wanted 65 for used one along with my one that is busted...hmmm well i found a new one online for 75 bucks so thats what i went with...any tricks or tips you can lend me when putting this radiator in? how does the "burping" process go? thanks!

Take u r time and be patient.....when it all buttoned up, fill it with coolant, leave the rad cap off, start and let idle, keep the rad full, when coolant starts to burp/flow out the rad, install the NEW rad cap. Overflow bottle should always have coolant in it.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by wjnfirearms
I've replaced two and they were pretty uncomplicated as rad swaps go. They evacuate air pretty easily, unlike ones such as Subarus that require a process to do and can be a major pain in the a$$. This is a good time to evaluate the shape of your hoses and replace older ones. Also, I'm a major advocate of installing a transmission cooler. These can be bought for under $50 new (you don't need the largest capacity ones as we generally don't do much heavy towing with these vehicles), can be installed inline at the fittings right at the radiator, and this is a great time to do it as they are best installed right in front of the a/c condenser and you're servicing this part of the XJ. My XJs have 175,000 and 238,000 and are on the original transmissions partially due to having coolers installed.

One thing I've noticed with aftermarket rads is that the fit may be off by a millimeter or two. It always ends up ok, but is noticeable where it fits on the bottom on the corners, primarily the side mounted tanks. This is not an uncommon issue with aftermarket parts (being most of them are made in foreign countries like China) as it is a known issue with aftermarket body components regardless of make of vehicle.
Yeah im one step ahead of you i purchased a tranny cooler cause my stock lines and those crappy stock crimp clams lost their hold and was leaking fluid like crazy. I was bypassing the radiator altogether with the tranny cooler when i noticed it had a small leak so i just figured better now then later.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:19 PM

everything went well as far as putting the radiator into my jeep. just had to mess around and curse at it in order for it to line up with the slot at the bottom but all is well!..thanks for the advice!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

My 89 Renix was the first radiator replacement that I have ever done. Very simple and a fun project. A week later that radiator in my 2001 dodge intrepid went out. That was anything but easy or fun, but gave me a great excuse to pick up a 20 pack! Good luck with it!