Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator Flush - Water pump leaking now

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Radiator Flush - Water pump leaking now

90' XJ 4.0I with 80K all original. This morning I flushed the cooling system with water twice, 3 time around I poured in the Radiator Flush and added water. An hour later, if i'm not mistaken, the water pump seems to be leaking. Its never been flushed! Is it possible it was so dirty that now it is leaking?? 19yrs old i'm sure it needs to be changed LOL.. Was having cooling issues but I purged the system to get all the air out. Its usually right below 210, at a stop maybe a bit higher.

Recently it failed emissions (co% at 15mph was slightly to high but passed at 25mph??) so I've read through all the thread and decided to perform the tune-up and few other things. Currently, I have seafoam in the car, 1/3 oil, 1/3 vac, 1/3 gas. I have plugs,wires,air filter and will change the oil in 20 miles.

The emissions station had a ramp for the test so the back end of the car was raised and i think that caused the motor to overheat while testing - all the coolant poured out of the reservoir as well.

From everything I've read, its leaking right above the crank pulley, it does not appear to be the lower rad hose, though i did remove it and couldn't reuse the original hose clamp. I had to use one that you screw tight.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Water pump has a weep hole on the bottom,once it starts to leak it is bad. I would also look into a new plastic bottle,once they get that hot they seem to continue to be a problem,my exsperience anyway.
You must live in ca,the emmisions test is done in heavily populated areas of ca.