Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

issues: fuel delivery? power delivery??

Old 10-02-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default issues: fuel delivery? power delivery??

Hey guys. I'm a brand new member here, as well as a brand new XJ owner. I bought a '92 2-door 4.0 in August with 280K miles, and it's been a heluva good rig (I've always had Toyotas, this is my first Jeep). Considering the mileage, I knew I would have to put some maintenance into it, which I have, however a problem has manifested itself which has left me stumped. Basically, it seems that the fuel pump is not receiving power. I've tried to solve this by reading old threads, and a common solution I've been seeing is replacing the CPS. Tried that, no go.
Let me describe the symptoms. Started about 2 weeks ago. After a cold night, or 3 or more hours of sitting, I would have to crank the motor for a long time before it would fire. This period got to be longer and longer, until it finally just wouldn't start at all.
I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel relay, crank position sensor (just based on what I've read here), inspected electrical connections, but still nothing. The guys at napa are telling me it's a fuel pressure problem, but I'm positive they're wrong. I think it's electrical.
I've come to this conclusion because of noise. Or the lack there of. Before the rig died completely, I could hear the pump kick on and prime the system when I cycled the ignition. Now nothing. Which makes sense, actually. I think about the mornings when I had to crank for 3 or 4 minutes before it would fire, and just before it would, I would notice the sound of relays and the fuel pump waking up. Now, it doesn't matter how many times I cycle the key, I hear nothing.
This is confirmed by the lack of fuel pressure (at the check valve, fuel rail). Before, when I would hear the pump prime, the system would pressurize. Now, nothing. I'm frusterated, and seem to have gotten no where. I need to resolve this issue. I just got a new job, but the work is based out of my own vehicle. Meaning, I can't start working until I fix my rig! Grr...
Any ideas guys? Maybe the ECU/computer is belly up? I've already spent a bit of money on 'maybe this' or 'let's try that,' and I don't want to buy a new computer if that's not the issue. Thanks for any input.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

do you have voltage at the resister on the drives fender
Old 10-02-2009, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Old 10-02-2009, 04:06 PM

I noticed that doo-dad, didn't know what it was. The wiring on it does seem to be pretty mickey mouse home-fab. I'll go check it.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fisherdo
I noticed that doo-dad, didn't know what it was. The wiring on it does seem to be pretty mickey mouse home-fab. I'll go check it.
the pic shows the resistor with a bypass wire to give the pump full voltage
Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM

that resistor doesn't seem to be the problem. I dont have a voltmeter, but I bridged the two wires, bypassing the resistor, and nothing.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM

I still wonder about the relays. Are they interrelated? Even though I replaced the fuel pump relay, would there still be a break in the circuit if another one is bad? Do they "flow" through each other? I'm kinda at the point of shootin blanks now...
Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fisherdo
I still wonder about the relays. Are they interrelated? Even though I replaced the fuel pump relay, would there still be a break in the circuit if another one is bad? Do they "flow" through each other? I'm kinda at the point of shootin blanks now...
are you sure you don't have a bad fuse