Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No fuel pressure

I took apart my column to tighten the bolts. Had trouble getting it back together but finally did with help from here.
Now I have no pressure at the shreader valve and want to make sure it is not something I did worng in the column. I have checked for loose wires at the base of the column and underneath there. All I found was one 3 wire connector with what looks to be an orange with white stripe, Black and a white wire and I don't see a spot for it anywhere.
I got the Jeep from my sister for some work I did and my dad bought it from a friend of his who got it from an auction so it has been around. lol
The little time I have had it I was having harder and harder times of starting it. Turns over fine just won't fire. It has spark and if I put a little gas down the throat it fires up and runs until the gas is gone.
I cannot hear the pump run nor feel it.
Before I go and buy a $100 pump I want to make sure that just putting a piece in the wrong place in the column won't cause my problem.
I can cycle the key all I want and won't get any fuel from the shreader valve.
Can anybody lend me a hand? This Jeep is going to be the death of me. I really like it.
I had to sell my 86 Bronco last month to pay for my daughter's college tuition and really miss having a 4x4. Plus my daily driver is a 1971 F100 with about 400k on the frame and body. I have done a lot of work to it over the years and it is a stout truck but when you drive something this old you like to have a 2nd truck sitting there.
Thanks for any help and sorry for the book
Sorry , I guess I should tell you what I am working on.
It is a 90 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4 door 4.0 automatic. Thanks
clint

Last edited by cdeal28078; 10-03-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

had you driven it before you were having issues? if you were, did you notice the fuel pump making a bunch of noise, like humming while driving? alot of times when a fuel pump is going on the xjs it will make a ton of noise before it goes. in my opinion if youre not getting any reaction from the pump at all when you turn the key then its gotta be junk. when you turn the key the pump pushes the fuel up through the line into the injectors, which you should hear the hum of the pump when the keys turned. i think its the pump, throw a new one in and i think youll be fine. good luck
Old 10-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

I'm dealing with a similar problem. '92 4.0. I've only had it a couple of months, never had an issue till a couple weeks ago. I noticed it started taking longer and longer crank times to get it to fire, finally it pooped out completely. Same deal, I don't hear the pump run when I cycle the key. I replaced the pump, still nothing. Replaced the relays, filters, checked wiring (along route to pump), and changed the crank pos. sensor (got that idea from these threads), still nothing. It's as if power is not making it's way to the fuel pump. Frustrating problem, isn't it?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Yeah it ran before I messed with it but with the power brake pump making so much noise under the hood I never heard the fuel pump. It was getting harder and harder to start though I haven't owned it long and haven't even tagged it yet.
I am going to try and check for power at the relay before I swap out the pump
\thanks
clint