Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about a 3" lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Question about a 3" lift

I am interested in lifting my XJ 3". I've searched the forum and can't find an answer to my question. I've never lifted a vehicle before. Anyways, the shock absorbers are going to stay the same length, no matter what lift I do, right? I was looking at doing the 3" BDS lift kit with the leaf spring replacements. I'd like to omit the shock absorbers and use Old Man Emu shock absorbers. They only come in one length for the XJ from what I can tell. Is this correct? If I decided to use the BDS shock absorbers, what is the advantage of gas over hydraulic? Anything else I should buy with the lift kit like a steering stabilizer? Thanks, and sorry for the noob questions.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L (242 CID) I6 MPI "Power Tech"

The shocks will change with different levels of lift.

BDS makes a helluva kit! Top of the line stuff right there. I use Old Man EMU shocks as well, and can't say enough good things about them. For a 3" lift you will need model numbers N36L in the rear and N35L in the front. Get the old man emu steering stabilizer as well, model number SD40. And make sure the kit you get has an adjustable trackbar to re-center your front diff. If you have a late model XJ with the NP242 TC and a Chrysler rear end, you will probably catch a vibe. An SYE kit and CV shaft may be required to make things smooth again. You could also look at a set of 2* shims and a 1" TC drop to fix the driveline vibes if you don't plan to go offroad.

Good luck man. Lifting my Jeep was the best thing I ever did to a vehicle.

Last edited by EvilMaster; 09-27-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered Users

^x2. I would get extended brake lines too, or you could remount the factory lines(which ive never trusted).
Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the advice! I see that the TC drop kits aren't too much money. About $50. Are they hard to install? I'll definitely look into the adjustable track bar. Thanks for the tips on the shocks. I found those exact ones online and it all makes sense now! HA! Thanks. If I did drop my transfer case, do I still need the adjustable track bar? I am wanting to get some 31x10.5x15" tires. I was looking at the BFG All Terrain tires. Any thoughts on those? I don't plan to do any serious muddin or rock crawling or anything. But I would like to take it offroad on fire roads and places like that. I do a little hunting and fishing. If I could get down some remote roads, that would be great. I'd like it to be streetable too. What are some good wheels? I was looking at wheels on tirerack.com, but I don't know about them. They'd probably charge me an arm and a leg to ship to Alaska too. Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by KC10Chief
Thanks for the advice! I see that the TC drop kits aren't too much money. About $50. Are they hard to install? I'll definitely look into the adjustable track bar. Thanks for the tips on the shocks. I found those exact ones online and it all makes sense now! HA! Thanks. If I did drop my transfer case, do I still need the adjustable track bar? I am wanting to get some 31x10.5x15" tires. I was looking at the BFG All Terrain tires. Any thoughts on those? I don't plan to do any serious mudding or rock crawling or anything. But I would like to take it off road on fire roads and places like that. I do a little hunting and fishing. If I could get down some remote roads, that would be great. I'd like it to be streetable too. What are some good wheels? I was looking at wheels on tirerack.com, but I don't know about them. They'd probably charge me an arm and a leg to ship to Alaska too. Thanks for the advice!
You wont know if you need a t-case drop till you lift it but chances are you will, a sye is what you really will need. A t-case drop is just a bandaid. And yes you will still need an adjustable track bar. The trackbar centers the front axle where the t-case drop helps with driveline angles. BFG At's are pretty good tires. I run them and dont have many complaints. They arnt the best in the mud but do great in sand, trails and of course the street. If it is a dd I would say go with them but if mud is your thing go with a mt. I dont really know how good they are in snow because it doesnt snow much here in NC. So far as wheels go many people just run cheap steel rims. They can take a pretty good beating and they are cheap to replace if they do bend.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by jmm0122
You wont know if you need a t-case drop till you lift it but chances are you will, a sye is what you really will need. A t-case drop is just a bandaid. And yes you will still need an adjustable track bar. The trackbar centers the front axle where the t-case drop helps with driveline angles. BFG At's are pretty good tires. I run them and dont have many complaints. They arnt the best in the mud but do great in sand, trails and of course the street. If it is a dd I would say go with them but if mud is your thing go with a mt. I dont really know how good they are in snow because it doesnt snow much here in NC. So far as wheels go many people just run cheap steel rims. They can take a pretty good beating and they are cheap to replace if they do bend.
stop spreading false info. if it fixes the vibration theres nothing "bandaid" about it.
a 3" lift is so small youll never max out the factory slip yoke, and with no vibrations theres no reason to blow way more cash than you have to. only exception would be if you needed that 1" of ground clearance the t-case drop eats up.

also you wont NEED an adjustable track bar either, again 3" lift is pretty entry-level. at 3" i noticed my axle was a bit off center, so i did another "bandaid" fix and drilled a 7/16 hole 3/4" over from the factory track bar mounting hole and re-mounted it. now its centered. still handles fine, no bump-steer.

and ps. my 97 has a 242 and a chryco 8.25 and my 3" lift never caused any driveline vibes. all depends on the truck i guess.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by 84wagoneer
stop spreading false info. if it fixes the vibration theres nothing "bandaid" about it.
a 3" lift is so small youll never max out the factory slip yoke, and with no vibrations theres no reason to blow way more cash than you have to. only exception would be if you needed that 1" of ground clearance the t-case drop eats up.

also you wont NEED an adjustable track bar either, again 3" lift is pretty entry-level. at 3" i noticed my axle was a bit off center, so i did another "bandaid" fix and drilled a 7/16 hole 3/4" over from the factory track bar mounting hole and re-mounted it. now its centered. still handles fine, no bump-steer.

and ps. my 97 has a 242 and a chryco 8.25 and my 3" lift never caused any driveline vibes. all depends on the truck i guess.
Wow you really have no idea what they are talking about. Ask anyone one this forum that actually knows what they are talking about(ie not someone like you) and a guarantee you they will tell you the same thing. A sye is the fix. The vibration is still there with a t-case drop its just covered up, and over time you will only make things worse. Its nice of you to try and save the guy some money and all but its not the real fix.

And your just making yourself sound stupid(not that you already hadn't) when you say the track bar is a bandaid fix. No one said anything about that. The trackbar can be redrilled or you can get an adjustable tackbar if you have the money either way is fine. But it was a good try, trying to play off my words but sadly it didnt work it just made you sound dumb.

Last edited by jmm0122; 09-27-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: had to add some more for destination xj
Old 09-27-2010, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 91 Limited

Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 AM

Thanks guys, no need to fight. They're just Jeeps. If a SYE will take care of the problem, I'd just go with that. Money isn't an issue really. I'd like to have a real nice 3" lift setup. I'm leaving on a deployment tomorrow night and won't be getting any of this stuff until I get home next year. I'm just doing my research now so that I'm prepared! I might order stuff while I'm out flying missions over Craplakistan and then it will be ready for me when I return home!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Engine: 4.0

I have a 3" Skyjacker full spring replacement kit, new shocks and a new adjustable track bar. NO T-case drop and no vibrations after lengthing the drive shaft. The kit came with a track bar adapter but it was cheesy. The driveline was lengthed about 3/4" and did not need the SYE. The driveshaft work was done by Dr Smash Design, a local pro shop specializing in rock crawlers so I trust his judgment.

If you have decent angles and still have some vibrations or wierd noises after the lift, check the tranny mount, the factory mount is pretty flimsy and goes mushy after a few years. This allows the tranny to move about too much. Replace it with a new stock one (occasionally) or a poly and lots of funny little problems disapear.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

When you go to the BDS site find the part where you can put your lift kit togehter and it will tell you everything you need except the sye I cant remember if it does or doesn't if after that your still unsure call them the have greatservice an will help you out to get what you want.g/l
Old 09-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

I have that kit, for 3 years now.
Great kit. With discos it flexes like a 4+" kit.
With mine even with the relocation bracket for the track bar it was a bit off still.
No complaints at all after I got an adjustable track bar.
If I could do it right the first time....Here's what I've done ,besides the shocks and LCAs....yet:

BDS 3" leaf pack/coils
Iron Rock Offroad double shear adjustable track bar and bracket for 1-5" lift
OME shocks as suggested, and steering stabilizer
Longer LCA's
JKS Quicker Disconnects for the front.

I didn't need to extend my brake lines, and got rid of the overpriced Transfer Case drop. No vibes at all on my 96. if ya need a TC drop it's just longer bolts and square tubing with a couple holes in it. Cheeeeeap to make. maybe 15 bucks.
The rest is in my sig! BTW those leafs/coils last a loooong time! Top Notch for sure. Excellent choice.

Last edited by Solomon7; 09-28-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by KC10Chief
I'm leaving on a deployment tomorrow night and won't be getting any of this stuff until I get home next year. I'm just doing my research now so that I'm prepared! I might order stuff while I'm out flying missions over Craplakistan and then it will be ready for me when I return home!
Good luck over there and be safe. Maybe we can meet in Anchorage sometime and check out your final results.