Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power/Comfort Switch HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power/Comfort Switch HELP !!

I have an 87 jeep Cherokee and ive noticed that my jeep shifts at about 2500 - 3k rpm. it will not tach out. which leads me to believe that it is stuck on comfort mode. its an automatic tranny. How can i hardwire that switch to be on power mode at all times i have no use for the comfort setting.

Last edited by akanoobz; 08-20-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:52 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Easy. Remove the switch. Unplug it. Make a 3 to 4" jumper wire with a male spade at each end. Plug one spade into the tan wire of the plug and the other spade into the wire with the stripe. Whatever you do, DO NOT plug anything into the black wire receptacle.

Now, look into the fusebox. Make sure the 7.5 amp "trans" fuse isn't blown because your switch might have been shorted beforehand.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Now what if ive already tried that and it still doesnt work. I just put a new 7.5 fuse in there. is it possible that it could be a bad sensor or anything ? i have power to the switch i checked it with the test light. but when i touch the striped wire with the tan wire nothing happens. so im not too sure whats going on.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1989
Engine: Inline 6

i actually have a question for this subject. what is it that makes one better than the other? i use mine as a daily driver, which setting should i have it on?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by LoveMy89Anya
i actually have a question for this subject. what is it that makes one better than the other? i use mine as a daily driver, which setting should i have it on?
The comfort setting makes the jeep shift at lower rpms which is at about 2500-3k rpms which helps conserve gas.

The power setting lets the jeep shift at a higher rpms for more power
Old 08-20-2011, 03:05 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Its also better to have it in power when towing or when you have a full vehicle.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by akanoobz
Now what if ive already tried that and it still doesnt work. I just put a new 7.5 fuse in there. is it possible that it could be a bad sensor or anything ? i have power to the switch i checked it with the test light. but when i touch the striped wire with the tan wire nothing happens. so im not too sure whats going on.
Have you ever adjusted the cable from the throttle body to trans?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Have you ever adjusted the cable from the throttle body to trans?
no i cant say that i have. im stuck at the switch part right now lol
Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Make sure you've got power at both ends of the jumper wire.

And, the cable adjustment might just fix your problem. The problem very well might not be the switch at all.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Make sure you've got power at both ends of the jumper wire.

And, the cable adjustment might just fix your problem. The problem very well might not be the switch at all.
so your saying i should have power comming from 2 wires on that switch ? and what do you mean cable adjustment. im sorry for asking so many questions this **** is super confusing lol
Old 08-20-2011, 03:44 PM

The switch better be disconnected at this point and a jumper wire between the tan wire and the wire with the stripe on it as I explained in my first post. The jumper wire should have power at each end now if the fuse is good.

See the cable hooked to your throttle body that runs across the valve cover and to the passenger side of the engine bay? Right at the bracket that holds that cable near the throttle body there's a D shaped button you can push in. Push it in, pull the cable housing toward the passenger side of the Jeep. Let go of the button now. With the engine off, floor the gas pedal. Cable is now adjusted.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM

The switch better be disconnected at this point and a jumper wire between the tan wire and the wire with the stripe on it as I explained in my first post. The jumper wire should have power at each end now if the fuse is good.

See the cable hooked to your throttle body that runs across the valve cover and to the passenger side of the engine bay? Right at the bracket that holds that cable near the throttle body there's a D shaped button you can push in. Push it in, pull the cable housing toward the passenger side of the Jeep. Let go of the button now. With the engine off, floor the gas pedal. Cable is now adjusted.
ok so i now have a jumper wire all set up. Now im a little confused on on this cable your telling me to adjust. how do i tell if it has been adjusted right ?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

The Power/Comfort switch was Jeeps way to try and please the hippies as well as the ninnies who didn't like a firm shift at a higher RPM. In my opinion, this switch is crap, which is why it was done away with in IIRC '94 XJ's. All XJ's were then hardwired into Power mode.

As explained to me before a while back, the comfort switch shifts the transmission at a lower RPM range and feathers the clutches together rather then let them firmly connect in an attempt for a soft, nambe pambe shift. This isn't exactly good for the clutches, as the difference in contact friction points wears away the friction material. Power mode allows the transmission to shift at higher RPM ranges (which actually utilizes the 4.0's better end of the power band which actually still helps gas mileage) and firmly connects the clutches together in each gear rather than feather them.

To acknowledge your issue, check your TV cable and TPS. A TV Cable out of adjustment can cause the transmission to think the throttle is turned in a higher position than it really is, making it shift pre-maturely. If the TPS is bad, then the TCU will be made to basically think the same way and not be in tandem with the throttle, which can lead to funky shift points and what not.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

This should answer ALL questions regarding the TV cable and its adjustment.

This is a TV Cable diagram:

Although a later model XJ, the cables are pretty much the same. The guys thumb is over the TV Cable in this pic:

Watch this:

OR

Read this:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/
Old 08-20-2011, 05:19 PM

1991 Jeep Man has done a great job for the OP. OP, you need to take care of the cable adjustment and the wires on the harness. If you're up to adjusting/testing your TPS, email PM me with your email address and I'll send you some simple instructions for doing so.