Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A (possible) solution to the dreaded death wobble!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default A (possible) solution to the dreaded death wobble!!

Ok, so some of you have been following my troubles with the DW, and know what I've been going through, and I'm sure some don't. I took the Heep to "another" shop today and the following is the diagnosis they gave, and showed, me. Passenger side ball joints are shot, apparantly you need two people to check ball joints. When he had his guy pick up on the wheel as we watched, it moved up 1/32" or so, that's probably not good!! When I did it alone, I felt NOTHING....DOH!! The DS is fine, but since I'm doing one side, I'll do them both. I noticed that there is no write up on BJ replacements on CF, that I could find. So, when I do it, I'll take plenty of pics and we will have a write up on it. The tie rod on the passenger side is shot as well, yeah the long "probably expensive" one!! There is lateral movement at the sector shaft on the steering box as well, which cannot be adjusted out. Time for a new steering box too...OH BOY!! The part of it that chaps my a$$ is, this is the third shop that I've taken it to, and they never said a word about some of this stuff. The guy showed it to me, so now, I see it!! I'm thinking I'm, obviously, not that observant, niether are the two shops that I took it to!! One, of which, is a 4X4 specialty shop, makes me think that their not that special after all!! I have to hold off on fixing it for now, gotta get some $$$ saved up!! The guy said as long as I drive it expecting the DW to happen, it will be fine for the trip I have planned, but it should be parked shortly after. So I just need to keep driving it the way I've been driving it, very carefully!!
When I get a dumptruck full of money saved up, I'll let you guys know how it goes!!
I still have my doubts!! Later!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Might as well swap to a Durango box instead of the OEM one. Could save you a few pennies as well. Be sure to drill out the valves to get better flow when you do it.

My BJ's are bad as well and I get DW too. Ive been driving on them for a good while but I avoid the interstate.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Mine's between 35 and 50, other than that it's smooth as silk!! Well, as smooth as a lifted Jeep can be, maybe not silky smooth!! On the I, I'm good to go, I just have to be careful in town. Later!!
Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

You have to go through alot of towns on the way to vacation?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Do you hear banjos?

None that are that concerning, or large for that matter. They are all little mountain towns, after I get out of the Springs. And I know every bump in that highway, I've traveled it a lot!! That is the fastest route to the mountains, A.K.A....FREEDOM AND JOY!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't someone on this forum offer to give ya hand, gee I can't recall who it was.

If you pay someone to fix your junk I'll kick yer yarbles up around your ears! Ball joints are a piece of cake. Power Steering Gear Box can be found at U-Pull Pay (on hwy 85/87, formerly A-1) for next to nothing.

Get off your **** and bring the damn thing by my place and lets take a look at it.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I am afraid I have the same problems.. I know the box is shot.. though I was able to adjust out most of the wandering. But I am sure the ball joints, track bar, and control arms needs replacing... OH and I need tires... and possibly a fuel pump..
Old 08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Do you hear banjos?

I don't plan on paying someone to fix it. I just had to find out what was up with the darn thing!! To stop throwing money at an unknown problem!! Now that I know, I can make a plan of attack. Now that you mention it, I've never done ball joints (abriviation not appropriate) before, and could prolly use the help!! What is your advice on where to pick them up?? I've heard NAPA is the place, but don't kow for sure!! Just give me a little time to get some money set aside, and I'll gladly take you up on your offer!!

Thanks again Frank!!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dana or NAPA Premium ($$$ but worth the money). I bought 2 adjustable uppers (NAPA) for mine so I could dial in the camber for each side of the axle.

I've had to yank Federal-Mogul balljoints 2 hours after installing them cuz they were trashed right out of the box, Picked up a few TRW's that were very loose in the inner C.

I've got a sweet balljoint press that takes all the effort out of the job.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Do you hear banjos?

NAPA it is then. I'll get the adj ones as well, so I can tweak that as well. It'd be nice to have that option. Sounds like the BJ press will be a big help!! Later!!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0ltr

Ball Joint press is a necessity on the D30 for sure, I'm sure Frank will fix you up, but I have a press if you need it, there are actually a couple of special fittings in the deluxe ball joint press kit that I don't have, and they really help on the D30's (they are slightly cupped on one side to sit against the housing better), but I've ground a couple of bearing races to help me do those.

By the way, I've seen people mistakenly install them upside down before and have to start over
Old 08-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mykal
Might as well swap to a Durango box instead of the OEM one. Could save you a few pennies as well. Be sure to drill out the valves to get better flow when you do it.

My BJ's are bad as well and I get DW too. Ive been driving on them for a good while but I avoid the interstate.

I will be doing the durango box swap this weekend. I will be also posting a write up as well. What do you mean by drilling out the valves for better flow? I have been through alot of info on the swap and never heard of this.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Durango Box
Modify the bypass valve in the pump. Change the spring preload of the relief valve by adding about 0.020in of shims. Factory is about 1300psi, Every 0.010in gives you appx 100psi increase. Some pumps are shimmed from the factory. Most are not. 1600psi is about as high as what is safe unless you upgrade your lines.

You can also increase the flow by drilling out the orifice after the valve. It's sized to the amount the box needs so when adding hydro assist it helps to balance it. Factory on a TJ is 5/32in, average size hydro assist you drill it out to 7/32in. It's a common mod if your running hydro assist but works well if you are not.

This is ideal if you are running large tires.

Here is a write-up on the MJ/XJ box. Same deal pretty much.

HTH
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the info. I have read that some of the durango swaps have problems turning the tires at idle speed. I see this being a problem while crawling but if you have a standard trans, you could hit the clutch for a quick second to bring up your RPM's. I may attack this also. We will see how the box upgrade goes first.

Last edited by 99xjlove; 08-29-2008 at 09:57 PM.