Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

please help about to give up on my xj

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation please help about to give up on my xj

i recently replaced my tps,cps,and my iac also a new fuel filter and battery and alternator on my 1996 xj and still does not run.. it will start rough and only stay running if i keep the rpms above 1500 as soon as i let off the throttle it just dies.. it will do this every time i try starting it.. and now sometimes when starting a puff of white smoke comes out of my air filter.. i have no idea wat hte problem is thought it was one of the things i replaced but i guess not so please help...
Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cherokeesportlbi
i recently replaced my tps,cps,and my iac also a new fuel filter and battery and alternator on my 1996 xj and still does not run.. it will start rough and only stay running if i keep the rpms above 1500 as soon as i let off the throttle it just dies.. it will do this every time i try starting it.. and now sometimes when starting a puff of white smoke comes out of my air filter.. i have no idea wat hte problem is thought it was one of the things i replaced but i guess not so please help...
Do NOT throw any more parts at this! It is not efficient and it becomes expensive in a hurry as you are finding out.

1. LOAD TEST your battery. A marginal battery can create stalling symptoms. Most any parts store will LOAD TEST your battery for you for free. And yes, to answer your question...you can have a battery strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to give the engine management system fits and result in stalling.

2. What is the condition of tuneup hardware? That includes plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Don't want to be chasing your tail for $40 worth of tuneup parts.

3. I would check for any stored codes in the computer to see if there are any clues. Have you seen a check engine light?

4. It might be a good idea to run a compression test on all cylinders to see if there is an internal problem, which is often overlooked. The compression spec. on the 4.0 is 120-150 psi, with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998

I just went back thru your previous posts and see you first posted this back in October. When it started running rough were there any noises? How many miles are on it?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Exclamation

there is 119,000 miles on it and there were no sounds when started to run like **** just started cutin out and not running.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Do NOT throw any more parts at this! It is not efficient and it becomes expensive in a hurry as you are finding out.

1. LOAD TEST your battery. A marginal battery can create stalling symptoms. Most any parts store will LOAD TEST your battery for you for free. And yes, to answer your question...you can have a battery strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to give the engine management system fits and result in stalling.

2. What is the condition of tuneup hardware? That includes plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Don't want to be chasing your tail for $40 worth of tuneup parts.

3. I would check for any stored codes in the computer to see if there are any clues. Have you seen a check engine light?

4. It might be a good idea to run a compression test on all cylinders to see if there is an internal problem, which is often overlooked. The compression spec. on the 4.0 is 120-150 psi, with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders.

i did get some codes but it was for the cps and tps and a high voltage on the rear o2 sensor those are the only codes i have gotten so far.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Load test battery yet?

Tuneup parts fresh?

Compression test?

Fuel pressure testing also may be of value.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 AM

just bought a brand new battery put in did the same thing watin on new plugs and wires in the mail and still have to test the cylinders and fuel pressure.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

Originally Posted by cherokeesportlbi
just bought a brand new battery put in did the same thing watin on new plugs and wires in the mail and still have to test the cylinders and fuel pressure.
i would definitely check those two things before you throw at more money at it, i'd come by and give you a hand but i don't have any of the stuff to do those tests
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Year: 1991

Sounds very fuel pump to me.. the white smoke is scary. I don't know about that but generally if its out the exhaust.. its a head gasket.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Check your timing. I have a feeling that is where your problem is. Your getting white smoke through the intake. The timing may be retarded. It's possible that your timing chain may have jumped a tooth just from being old. They get stretched out. Do a compression check just to make sure you haven't blown a head gasket. White smoke is typical of that, but I don't think you did. I really think it's your timing. Good luck amigo!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Have you checked your vacuum lines? Make sure the tubes are free flowing. The few that come off the valve cover have a tendency to clog with the typical engine blow by the the 4.0's have. The smoke coming out of the air filter....scary....that could mean blow gasket. Check for water in your oil or have a chemical test on your antifreeze for fuel.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Boy, I'd go with compression test...except for the white smoke. That calls for a leakdown test, which will pinpoint the problem. I bought mine here:

http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/se...39213&PageNo=1

They make good tools that are very inexpensive and reliable.

The instructions on how to use it are simple and clear. If you were nearby, I'd help. Bear in mind the plugs on a 4.0 are so easy to get to that using this tool is easy.

This WILL tell you what is wrong.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM

ok thanks i plan on a compresion test just order the part to do so now i just wait will keep posted on the results.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

head gasket is my bet, check your oil filler cap, see if it's milky/foamy looking. Also is it using antifreeze?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Dude all i have to sayy is DONT GIVE UP ON YOUR XJ!!!!!!!
Iv been Working on getting mine to start for the past 2 months and still nothing.

Quick Reply: please help about to give up on my xj