Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Passenger side electrical issues (not the door boot)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Passenger side electrical issues (not the door boot)

First post, hello all. I have a 2001 XJ sport 4x4 (my third XJ in thirty years) non-mod and I'm having the weirdest electrical issue with this one.

Symptoms (all passenger side, drivers side all work fine):
-No rear turn signal, brakes and reverse are fine.
-No power windows either door, power locks work but only on passenger side.
-No speaker sound

What I've done to try and fix this:
-Checked all door boot wires. Only the notorious passenger speaker splice was broken. I soldered a jumper in.
-Changed all bulbs and double checked using "known working" bulbs.
-Installed new flasher relay (fixed the "fast flash" I was getting)
-Checked and cleaned all fuses. The two 25amp aux power and cig lighter were blown so I replaced those,
-Double checked all the above again.
-Re-soldered the power window switch circuits.
-Unplugged battery overnight.

My question is if the windows, speaker and turn signal are on the same circuit and where is the ground for it? Is there a work around by installing new ground wire? Is there a relay I'm missing?

Recent work I've done to the Jeep in case it makes a difference.
-Installed new power steering pump and A/C compressor
-Installed new rear drive shaft U-joints
-Installed new leaf springs and front end levelers
-Installed new drivers side power window unit and switch (the other windows worked fine after this install)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Old 04-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Also tried the paperclip hack for the window lock. No joy there either. I am getting an OL on the blinker circuit so I think there's a rotten ground. I just don't know where the ground(s) terminal is for this circuit. Thanks again for any help, I've been scouring the boards for three days and trying every idea.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I think I've seen the ground wiring for the tail lights it was behind the rear inside panels . for the speaker do you have the infinity system with the amp under the back seat ?
Old 04-09-2018, 06:04 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Check wiring behind cargo area panel, driver side. Refresh grounds, look for aftermarket hitch wiring attached. Grounds are G302 and 304. Look at post#5 in link for additional grounds.
Thanks to CCKen for the diagram and following linked post...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rig...2/#post3232179
Attached Thumbnails Passenger side electrical issues (not the door boot)-jpgcargobaygrounds.jpg  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

The right turn signal wiring is not associated with the grounds on the left. It's a separate harness on only the right side. There is a connector near the lower quarter that will corrode if any water gets inside which commonly does. One of mine was so corroded it pulled a few pins out when I unplugged it. And I think the ground for that side is somewhere on the passenger floor under the front seat or something.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Thanks for clarifying, here is the diagram to go with. Ground mentioned looks to be G303.
Attached Thumbnails Passenger side electrical issues (not the door boot)-g303-location.jpg  

Last edited by SteveMongr; 04-14-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Thanks guys, I'll check that 303 today. Sorry about the delay. Life got in the way. To answer question, the XJ doesn't have the infinity system. I just ran new wires to the speaker from the stereo harness and got the speaker back on line. So, with the turn signal issue I've now done: New socket and new multi switch. No luck.

New thing I noticed: The passenger tail light works and driver side does not. The driver side brake light works and the passenger side does not. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Current issues in addition to above:
No passenger side power windows
No passenger side rear turn signal (fronts are fine).
Old 04-13-2018, 10:29 AM

So 303 was a bit corroded and rusty. It's now bare metal to bare metal (as are 302/304) but it didn't solve the issue. Back to the drawing board. I'm going to check voltage at the switch and see what is getting put out.

E. Plenty of power. But not at the socket. Back to tracing lines.

Last edited by King of Bees; 04-13-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: E. added info
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

Check the connector behind the panel on the right side of the cargo area. That's where the connector for the right taillight is.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:05 PM

Thanks. Will check tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If the connection was corroded, the corrosion might have traveled into the wire itself. It would not be a bad idea to cut it back an inch at a time until you find good clean wire. Then spice as needed and add a new ring.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

on my 98xj lost all tail lights and they would work in freakishly wrong order, took the back panels and lights out and found all kinds of connectors with green funk. Jumpered them out and that was 4 years ago still all work fine. Back end of vehicles tend to pick up road moisture and corrode
Old 04-14-2018, 07:44 AM

RESOLVED! (Kind of, also comedic) I checked the connector mentioned above and it was a bit funky, but not too bad. Cleaned it really well and still nothing. So, I decided to run new wires and I was getting under the bench seat to get prepped and noticed for the first time a hidden gash in the harness that runs across the body under the seat. I realized that when I did the leaf springs I had to saw the bolts and go through the floor to remove the ends. When I cut the access hole I definitely sliced the wires. It was fairly dim out when I did it and it buzzed the underside of the harness, so it wasn't visible from the top. There's 28 wires in there. I sliced through or mostly through ten. I made jumpers and the turn signal is working again.

Question: There are identical wires I've sliced through. Four plain yellow wires (two big/two small) and two Orange/black in there that I don't know what they go to. But I'm assuming I've crossed them because the stereo is in protect mode. Anyone know where these terminate? Couldn't find it in the wiring diagrams.

E. What I mean is that it's impossible to tell if I'm jumping from the right wire to the other when they're two identical ones on each side of the cut. Lol, this is going to be fun.

Last edited by King of Bees; 04-14-2018 at 07:54 AM. Reason: for clarity