Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical / Wiring Problem? Automatic door locks and door speaker failure, one side!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Unhappy Electrical / Wiring Problem? Automatic door locks and door speaker failure, one side!

The speaker in the door on the driver side works on and off, never when the door is open, sometimes when the door is closed. I just replaced the stock door speakers with 5.25" Alpine Type-S and the problem is still occurring on the driver side only.

Also, the electric door locks never work on the driver side, both front and rear door. The strange thing is, that the rear driver side door DID lock electronically when I first got the Jeep a month ago. I am guessing this is a wiring issue? There is no speaker in the driver rear door, but there are rear speakers in the sound bar and both work fine all the time. My guess is that the wiring for the sound bar must come from the passenger side?

How would I go about fixing this problem?
Where do the wires for the driver door speaker and door locks originate?

Any and all words of wisdom are much appreciated =)

In all sincerity,
ej
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, Nothing better

i am having the same problems but with the right side door. The power window switch doesn't work on that side, but works off of the drivers switch. Also the speaker does the same exact thing your explaining. The rear sound bar works just find thought. I had traced all my wires thru the doors but the colors change between the driver and passenger side for that window. They also don't match up with what in the chiltons or haynes manual. I would love to find out what is going on with this. It has been bugging me for a long time.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Yup. Broken wires in the flex boot between door and post. This will be an intensely detailed visual and manual process. Prepare to devote 3-6 hours to this process (longer if unfamilar with this kind of work). If you can acquire another switch panel assembly then it might be advisable to have one on hand for power-lock and power-window operability test purposes as-well.

You're going to need patience (heh), good lighting, a small assortment of wires lengths/gauges (16-24awg), cutters, crimpers, splices, electrical tape, shrink-sleeves and a heat gun. If you don't have a Jeep Factory Manual then I'll recommend you obtain one going forward. They are the bible for people who plan to keep and maintain their own Jeep - there's a lot to be learned in them.

Remove kick panel and door trim panel. Extract one end of flex boot then the other at each bulkhead. Loosen or remove restraints to allow harness freedom for inspection/repair. Carefully cut away the cable harness tape-wrap to allow wire inspection. Focus your search at the pricipal flex-points. You can move those points fore and aft of each bulkhead hole to ease inspection/repair.