Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Part time and full time drive problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Part time and full time drive problems

1993 Jeep Cherokee Country

Last winter my jeeps part time and full time drive lever worked just fine. This winter I went to use it as normal and pulled it into part time which worked (and still works) fine. Then I tried to pull it into fulltime but it didn't want to go at all. When I managed to get it into full time felt like it was grinding at first and the light for it didn't even show up nor did it feel like full time. Any one have any ideas? I'm fairly new to jeeps (and working on cars in general). All help is much appreciated!

Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

It is probably that the linkage and selector on the transfer case is sticking. I would start by spraying some spray lubricant on the transfer case selector lever and the shift linkage. Get it really sprayed down and then try to work the lever while the Jeep is off and see if it starts "clicking" into place.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

^^If that doesn't work then it may just need to be adjusted.

Here is a video it's on a Grand Cherokee with 242 T-Case but process is the same as far as I know.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Are you shifting it the way it was designed to?

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Old 12-18-2018, 03:11 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Littlebluejeep
1993 Jeep Cherokee Country

Last winter my jeeps part time and full time drive lever worked just fine. This winter I went to use it as normal and pulled it into part time which worked (and still works) fine. Then I tried to pull it into fulltime but it didn't want to go at all. When I managed to get it into full time felt like it was grinding at first and the light for it didn't even show up nor did it feel like full time. Any one have any ideas? I'm fairly new to jeeps (and working on cars in general). All help is much appreciated!
On my Jeeps, the transmission mount needed replacement, when they sag down, engage & disengage becomes difficult.
After changing it out, clean & lube mechanism, transfer was easy.
Inspect your LH engine mount, they get completely flogged out