Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Overdrive

ok so a lot of things have been replaced on 93 jeep Cherokee , I just recently bought it. Current issue I’m having is when I change into overdrive it Boggs down really low and if I accelerate then sometimes it just sticks rpms stay same and mph. I’ll slowly release gas pedal to try and get it too change and as I accelerate again it just does it again. Checked fluid looks good , recently replaced fluid bout 2 months ago old was in decent shape and I changed the filter , idk if could be transmission or vacuum leak maybe ? Did adjust the lockdown cable and it did temporarily fix it . Also do have vacuum leak I found other day but it’s related to my air only coming out of defrost and I sealed it off until I can replace it , I really am just worried bout overdrive cause my last vehicle transmission went out and I dread it on the Jeep please help
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rtbachus35
ok so a lot of things have been replaced on 93 jeep Cherokee , I just recently bought it. Current issue I’m having is when I change into overdrive it Boggs down really low and if I accelerate then sometimes it just sticks rpms stay same and mph. I’ll slowly release gas pedal to try and get it too change and as I accelerate again it just does it again. Checked fluid looks good , recently replaced fluid bout 2 months ago old was in decent shape and I changed the filter , idk if could be transmission or vacuum leak maybe ? Did adjust the lockdown cable and it did temporarily fix it . Also do have vacuum leak I found other day but it’s related to my air only coming out of defrost and I sealed it off until I can replace it , I really am just worried bout overdrive cause my last vehicle transmission went out and I dread it on the Jeep please help
See if your cable adjustment didn't stay in place.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
See if your cable adjustment didn't stay in place.
well almost positive transmission going out , well overdrive , when I purchased vehicle afterwards I ended up realizing there was a dent in oil pan as I was replacing all the gaskets. For the time being back then I just flattened it out and sealed it up . Well I was bout to change oil pump and pan but then this happened , but anyways apparently it dented it again and this time it hit the transmission line running next to it , which I assume is the start of it. Overdrive bogs down on me pretty bad and it is very slow to accelerate, frustrating
Old 04-05-2018, 07:02 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

well almost positive transmission going out , well overdrive , when I purchased vehicle afterwards I ended up realizing there was a dent in oil pan as I was replacing all the gaskets. For the time being back then I just flattened it out and sealed it up . Well I was bout to change oil pump and pan but then this happened , but anyways apparently it dented it again and this time it hit the transmission line running next to it , which I assume is the start of it. Overdrive bogs down on me pretty bad and it is very slow to accelerate, frustrating
Is a trans cooling line crimped almost shut?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Is a trans cooling line crimped almost shut?
yes, not shut all way but has been hit is there any hope to save tranny?? It’s just overdrive bogging down and struggling , best suggestion ?
Old 04-06-2018, 01:59 PM

yes, not shut all way but has been hit is there any hope to save tranny?? It’s just overdrive bogging down and struggling , best suggestion ?
well I replaced line and now what I believe is flexplate? Right in front of transmission pan it’s leaking pretty bad