Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Opinions on first jeep!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Opinions on first jeep!

Hey guys I'm new around here and am going to look at this jeep on Monday with an interest in buying. Here is the ad below. Do you think this is a good deal? What are some common issue's or things I should look out for? Which year models of the XJ were considered the best? It is an auto with 220000km.

Thanks.

For Sale, 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ
$4,000 Firm for a quick sale!!
My consider Swap for something of interest!
Mod list
- 4.5" lift
- 9 stage adjustable shocks
- upgraded Control arms
- Front Diff locker
- Chrysler 8.25 rear diff (with lsd)
- 2" Exhaust system
- 33" Maxxis bighorns 70% tread
- SYE Kit with custom drive shaft
- TJM Winch Bar
- 14,000 winch with wireless controller
- Under body Bash Plate
- Rear swing out wheel carrier
- Vapour Liquid Gas injection system worth $4,500
- Roof top cage
- Spot Lights
- Dual battery's
- Sheepskin seat cover
- Roof top solar panel with in cab charger
- 4 months rego
- New front and rear brakes (including callipers and rotors)
And the list goes on! Also comes with spare parts!
Few bad points, Rear diff has a bit of noise in it. (bad wheel bearing and pinion) and the steering arm joint and a few bushes need replacing and the windscreen has 2 cracks in it. Still drivable... I can get a used rear diff and transmission in great condition for $300 but I no longer have the time to fix it or even the time to drive it! So I'm selling it cheap for a quick sale $4,000 firm
Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Griz,

Personally I wouldn't buy a 1996 XJ.

If you look back at the threads concerning '96 troubles you'll find that it is an odd ball when it comes to electrical systems.

And...the Fuel Pump & Sending Unit is nonprocureble.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

Originally Posted by CCKen
Griz,

Personally I wouldn't buy a 1996 XJ.

If you look back at the threads concerning '96 troubles you'll find that it is an odd ball when it comes to electrical systems.

And...the Fuel Pump & Sending Unit is nonprocureble.
Huh...never knew that...

I heard the 97's could have a few weird issues (from you I think) but never the 96's. Good to know. I know that 96 and 89 were the 2 highest production years (over 200,000 each) so I would have thought parts were somewhat easier. They used a 1-off fuel pump/sending unit for 96?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Stabsthedrama
Huh...never knew that...

I heard the 97's could have a few weird issues (from you I think) but never the 96's. Good to know. I know that 96 and 89 were the 2 highest production years (over 200,000 each) so I would have thought parts were somewhat easier. They used a 1-off fuel pump/sending unit for 96?
Read this:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/199...erence-201584/

The '97 is an odd duck as well. The first production '97's had some carry-over from the '96. The last of the production fixed some of that earlier crap. The '97 even had it's own transmission trouble code. LOL
Old 11-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Hmm so reckon its not a good deal then?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Well it looks great! Can't speak for the mechanical end of it.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 PM

Yer its weird I have been getting so many mixed opinions on the jeeps, some of my mates say stay away from they always break parts are expensive and then others saying they are great reliable vehicles.. I contacted a mechanic to look at this one pictured above and he refused to because "he hates working on jeeps"? Thats the second mechanic to say this to me..
Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 PM

I am going to pay a mechanic to look over it, specifically where should i ask him to look? Where are some common area's for oil leaks or things breaking? Obviously when its on the hoist ill look underneath for rust and bash marks from offroading..
Old 11-08-2014, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Griz
I am going to pay a mechanic to look over it, specifically where should i ask him to look? Where are some common area's for oil leaks or things breaking? Obviously when its on the hoist ill look underneath for rust and bash marks from offroading..
Oil leaks? Valve cover gasket, oil filter adapter, rear main.
Make sure the trans fluid looks and smells good.
Listen carefully for engine noise starting with a COLD motor. If the owner "warmed it up for you", come back later.
I'd run it up to highway speed and see if you can get it to wobble. Diagonal train track crossings are a good trigger. Lifts tend to aggravate that if they aren't done well.

As to the 'always breaking' comments- the engine, transmission and drivetrain are solid as a rock. It's not uncommon to see them hit 300K miles or more without trouble with basic maintenance. There is nothing complicated about an XJ, they are 'caveman engineered'...as simple as possible. Relatively easy to fix and maintain.
You will run into troublesome sensors and electronics from time to time...much as with any computer controlled motor.

'96 does have a few oddities, specifically the fuel pressure regulator and the PDC, both one-year-only items. The pump itself is readily available.
I read in another thread that a member got a new fuel assembly (with regulator) from Crown and it works- so you might check up on that.
The PDC you'll probably never have an issue with.

Price looks high to me, but I don't know where you are or what the market it like.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Personally wouldnt buy it, right side fender flares look to be ripped off(not a big deal at all, as anything could have caused it) But the 96 had a uniques steering column. The front differential is locked but the back isnt? And I have no clue what the injection system is, IMO the stock injection system works fine.

Also it says "still driveable" my s10 without brakes was still driveable, my parents zj without reverse is still driveable. Theres also the fact that he can get a tranny and rear diff for $300, what do you need the tranny for?

I say stay away.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks sweet to me!! Give her a little TIC and it'll be a beaut! New flares would help a lot!
Old 11-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Looks nice but there are a LOT of questions that need to be answered - aside from weirdo '96 issues and additional points Radi brought up. Particularly about the modifications and the way they were done. It's great to read that an SYE and new drive shaft were installed, but the rear axle noise is worrisome. The listed exhaust is SMALLER than stock ( )

I assume this "Vapour Liquid Gas injection system" is one of the fancy computer-controller LPG conversions - not the old-style carbureted? I suppose that adds a lot of value there. Kinda hard to see it but I think the license plate says NSW? I suppose having a dual-fuel Jeep is a huge bonus... if it's done right.

Taking that vehicle to a mechanic is a good call. You might have a lot of value there but it'd be very easy for someone to rip you off. The axle can be fixed and fuel system dealt with - IF it fails - but it's key to have a solid vehicle. As mention 1996 won't particularly blow up on you.