Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ok to mix spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Ok to mix spark plug wires?

Just swapped plugs/wires/cap/rotor, but for whatever reason I couldn't get the wire boot to snap onto the #2 plug, nor could I scoot the boot up the wire to see if that would help (even popping the plug back out I couldn't get it to snap on to the wire while I was holding the plug). Anyway, I gave up and put the old wire back on that plug (a Mopar- left the new Beldons on the other 5). Snapped in fine and everything runs.
Is it ok to have the mixed wires in there for at least my next 30 miles (til I have time to try again or figure it out)?
Is it possible that the wire could be defective (as opposed to defective user baha)?
Many thanks.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

No harm will be done as long there are no misfires.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

I ran accross the same problem with Beldon cables. I had to cut about an 1/8" off the end of the boot to get it to fit correctly.

Beldon cables are good but I never had this problem with Bosch cables, which I'll switch back to when it's time to change the cables.

Last edited by CCKen; 08-06-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

As said before, you should be fine as long as the wires are the same exact length.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Thanks guys.
CCKen, is it preferred that I attempt to alter the boot by trimming the end a bit, or just leaving the one Mopar in with the Beldons and writing it off as another quirk? (Option 3, I suppose, is to pop back into Napa and see if they'd like to give it a shot.)
*ironically, I look to your old posts for guidance on replacement brands, hence the Beldons

Kalali, your instruction concerns me ("as long as the wires are the exact same length"). Do you mean the stand-in Mopar must be an exact match to the Beldon that would not snap on? I had attempted to match wire lengths up visually (new to old) and logically (distance/what else is in the way/etc), but I didn't shoot for "exactness" on the few shorter ones. I kept all the old ones, so I CAN go back and 2x check if that's what you mean. Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by CCKen
I ran accross the same problem with Belon cables. I had to cut about an 1/8" off the end of the boot to get it to fit correctly.

Beldon cables are good but I never had this problem with Bosch cables, which I'll switch back to when it's time to change the cables.
What Bosch wires do you use?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Kalali
As said before, you should be fine as long as the wires are the same exact length.
This has nothing to do with it working. To the op you will be fine, You can do as Ken said and trim the boot or or go back to where you bought them and see if they will at least replace the one wire.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tracyk
Thanks guys.
CCKen, is it preferred that I attempt to alter the boot by trimming the end a bit, or just leaving the one Mopar in with the Beldons and writing it off as another quirk? (Option 3, I suppose, is to pop back into Napa and see if they'd like to give it a shot.)
*ironically, I look to your old posts for guidance on replacement brands, hence the Beldons

Kalali, your instruction concerns me ("as long as the wires are the exact same length"). Do you mean the stand-in Mopar must be an exact match to the Beldon that would not snap on? I had attempted to match wire lengths up visually (new to old) and logically (distance/what else is in the way/etc), but I didn't shoot for "exactness" on the few shorter ones. I kept all the old ones, so I CAN go back and 2x check if that's what you mean. Thanks
I would trim the new Beldon boot back and try it again (before going through the drill of reinstalling it). If required trim a little bit more. Make sure you use Di-Electric grease on the inside of the boot (not on the wire connector in the boot). It will work. You'll soon forget that I inadvertently tricked you in to buying Beldon cables.

Age of that old spark plug cable that you have installed is what will give you problems if left installed - Get rid of it. Go with all new cables.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Trimming it is then.

All trickery forgotten haha. And [high-pitched] "oooooh" re the dielectric grease. Fairly certain I slopped it on more than just the boots (ie covered everything in the boot). Although that would be true for all the wires, not just the problem child.
Shrugs.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rgr4475
What Bosch wires do you use?