Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NSS problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default NSS problems

Hi,

So I've already taken off and cleaned NSS... It did work pretty well for a while (just a few teething problems with position) but yesterday it wouldn't start. Doesn't work in neutral either.I tried to bypass it using paper clip in B and C ports but no luck. When I turn the ignition the NSS makes a loud noise, like a clicking... I'm gonna tow it and take NSS off again but anyone got any idea about what might be happening?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Old 12-25-2017, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MattR
Hi,

So I've already taken off and cleaned NSS... It did work pretty well for a while (just a few teething problems with position) but yesterday it wouldn't start. Doesn't work in neutral either.I tried to bypass it using paper clip in B and C ports but no luck. When I turn the ignition the NSS makes a loud noise, like a clicking... I'm gonna tow it and take NSS off again but anyone got any idea about what might be happening?
Cleaning can, but does not guarantee return to function. As this is the second failure of this unit, it is probably time to replace it.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:55 PM

Thanks for your response TJ!

Yeah I am guessing that is what is needed. The reverse lights come on, so it is obviously still partly functional. Is there any reason why the bypass wouldn't work? Anyway thanks again.

Matt
Old 12-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Help needed!!! I am in search of a replacement headlight and turn signal wiring harness please help!!!!
Old 12-25-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Don't rule out the starter and possibly the cps if jumping the nss didn't work.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Roger - you should probably start a new thread for a new/unrelated topic.

That said, you can probably find that stuff at a junkyard - another good source is quadratec.com
Old 12-26-2017, 06:55 PM

Hey guys, thanks for input! Yeah I think it is the starter... have just cleaned all the connections and got a new battery and have tried hitting it with a hammer. So far no dice.

I guess I am just so used to it being the NSS! So would the CPS also cause this to happen? Is there any way of working out which it is? I have read about jumping the starter, would this tell me? Or should I test to see if the starter is getting enough current? Sorry just beginning on my jeep repairs journey so not that knowledgable.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

You can pull the starter and take it to your local parts store (Autozone, Advance, etc) and they'll bench test it for free - at least that's how it goes in the States.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:00 PM

Thanks Pat, I'll see if they do that here but my feeling (having experienced the service culture in the US) is that they will not offer this (esp for free!). My big problem is that basically all mechanics are on holiday here... so trying to solve this myself!
Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MattR
Thanks Pat, I'll see if they do that here but my feeling (having experienced the service culture in the US) is that they will not offer this (esp for free!). My big problem is that basically all mechanics are on holiday here... so trying to solve this myself!
That's unfortunate. I'm surprised. Autozone will do the bench test for you because they want to sell you a new starter if yours is bad - they're definitely not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. I can't believe that it's much different outside the states.
I do remember being in Germany one year between Xmas and New Years and it was a huge shock to me how literally EVERYTHING was closed down for the entire week. Here in the U.S. I was able to pick up a thermostat on Xmas eve at 1p in the afternoon at a retail parts store (in this case Advance Auto Parts) before they closed at 2p and they were open normal hours yesterday (the 26th). I remember working New Years day when I worked at Autozone 18 years ago and the store was open on a Sunday schedule (which is still like 8a-8p where I am.)

I will say that between this thread and your starter specific thread that it does sound like you need a new starter.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I tried to bypass the NSS, I may need a new NSS/PRNDL
jeep starts, but dies instantly