Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep wont start/ NSS problems page 2!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Jeep wont start/ NSS problems page 2!

Ok so im back. I gave up on trying to remove my NSS. I tried the post it sits on bent from how hard i was prying at the nut. The nuts threads ripped out and the nut flew off some where....the nss is NOT moving. I didnt have the tools nor patience to deal with it so i took it to a mechanic. An idiot mechanic who tore apart my dash trying to find the NSS but eventually found it and said it needed to be readjusted so it was readjusted. Battery was charged. Alternator tested and working. Jeep started and ran fine for awhile. From around 5 pm til 10 pm. Turned it off at a store go to start and it did its same crap again. Just a click under the dash. I noticed the battey seemd to be draining a bit so i turned my headlights off and then it started just fine. Got so pissed off that it wasnt fixed i drove it back to the mechanic and left it there planning on yelling at em in the morning for not actually fixing anything. Woke up late jammed out to work in my roomies car. My roomie decides to pick it up during the day and drives it all over friggin town without my permission...gotta love room mates. Anyways. It wont start again and its fairly obvious why. The battery has drained itself in less than a day.

So being new to cars i thought id ask is my battery dead? How much do new ones usually cost?

Also i noticed the deck was wired up like crap. Someone just clipped the plug and spliced a new one on and very poorly. Some of the channels are messed up like the left front is wired to the rear. It makes sound but turn it up just above a level you can hear music then it turns into an unholy and demonic sound that hurts you in all the wrong places...the deck also gets very very hot. Ive also noticed a few wires not connected to anything just sticking out. Could this be contributing to the battery draining so quickly?

Last edited by Crimmy; 08-10-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6cyl
Post it`s sounds like a dead battery to me

new ones usually cost about 92.00 bucks at autozone
yup and your battery is junk because of it i`d say go to walmart or autozone and get a wiring harness

Last edited by 96jeepcrawler; 08-10-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Would unplugging the deck be enough for now? I dont know jack about wiring a car stereo i just need a running vehicle for now. Just unplug it get a new battery and go from there. Would that do it?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:48 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like a bad battery, but it could be a altenator going south. As far as the head unit wireing causing the drain I wouldn't think so. I would first have the charging system checked for free at your local parts store.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Seasoned Member

The alternator was tested and it is fine. The battery was charged and the. NSS readjusted. He said it was out of alignment or something. I dont know but he got it to start but then the battery died again. Ive got a fairly fresh battery from a chrysler fifth avenue 85 or 86. Does it have the same cranking amps? The posts look to be the same size. Anyways im off for the night. Gonna go try to jump the battery and see if i can get the jeep back home so it doesnt get towed. But yeah i got charged 80 friggin bucks to have some tranny fluid put in...the alternator checked battery charged and the nss adjusted. So angry i thought it was fixed.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Anyone have any more input on this? I really need to get it rolling before friday. On a plus note before it died on me again i took it through some mud. Weve had flash flooding here in south dakota. A bridge i go to was washed out so i reversed back down the road went into a ditch and sank in about a foot deep in mud. My jeep is only 2 wheel drive. Barely tapped the gas and i rocketed right out of the mud. Its strong when it decides it wants to work!! =)