Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The NP 231 Saga

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default The NP 231 Saga

Well, here it is, ugly, stupid, retarded, and yet salvation......(somebody has GOT to raise hell with AUTOZONE!!!!!!!) I have already sent a scathing memo.

Backtrack, to the oil change with the MMO and the WIX filter(BTW..thanks to everyone here for their guidance on that!).......inspection underneath of 'ol red revealed a drip on the Xfercase rear oil seal.....

And so it begins.....I call local dealer for the appropriate seal, not one to be found for at least 47 miles from where I am. OK....Mr. Brilliant here decides to check our "local" auto parts stores.......So, what does he find? Well, they have a (now get this!) , 100% replacement part for the NP 231 rear oil seal). The one which the rear drive shaft connects to.....

I SAY FAN-TASTIC! I don't have to drive a gazillion miles for a 12 dollar part. Holy crap, I am happy, its right down the street (so to speak).....
Sooooo I get there, after thoroughly photographing the "offending' part...and according to AUTOZONE ON-LINE they have the EXACT replacement part..........I say, AWESOME!!! $14.99...BAM, I'll pick it up right away.....and hmmmmmm.. this don look right..but I ask specifically to the "parts guy", "is this the "EXACT" replacement"? he says "oh yeah, this wil fot the NP231"............With a bit of hesitation and question (lots o' head scrathcin), I acquiesce and go ahead an buy the part.
Fast forward to early AM today......Hey I got my new seal...goin to the hangar to r& r...wonderful......Old seal is ORIGINAL equipment, holy crap! 280 K on her,bless you!...Drop rear end straps holding U-joint in, no worries, all is marked..so re- insertion won't be an issue..alright banging and slashin' , vise included (this is after I have the aluminum extension housing removed( Three 15mm bolts BTW), whew! old one out! AWESOME......clean up all parts, all the old RTV etc etc etc........
I carefully re-tap/press the "NEW" seal into place....Ali Baba, it goes in B-E-A-U-tifully! ..........SO now I am pretty happy, no blood, not cuts, not busted knuckles, hey, life is good right?

RE-assemble all the components, all looks great..........

Here is where MURPHY steps in...........I go 3 count 'em 3 miles down the road and my Xfer case is pi$$in like an old man on prunes................

WTF!?!?!.........

Luck is on my side folks....that DEALER (Thank god who has the RIGHT PART) who is Godzilla miles from me has the PROPER part .....However, he is closing in 39 minutes.....Holy CRAP!. I tell him, can you have waiting at receptionist or something? Get this, its 5 bucks cheaper and the right part.
Sooooo, with the defective ( sunsobiotches az part in and leakin like i aint never seen) I go flyin over there and whaddya know, the buxom and curvacious operator has my part right there. (god bless ya honey!), ,,,,,,So I drive BACK to the wrenchin facility, just spewin tranny fluid everywhere, hatin it!.........NOW the fun begins!

Ok, NOW I have the CORRECT part! awesome!..........
sadness....in the process of removing the BAD, or f-up part from AUTOZONE......(again marking all points of driveshaft correlation etc etc),
I had used a Vise and several tappings around perimeter of the seal to remove the seated F-upped seal. Well, I was a little too much John Cena and yes, snapped one of the tangs off the extension housing ( its only aluminum after all)...OH CRAP!

Ok, so thinking quickly I resolved to embed the tang with the black RTV the extension housing needs anyway, as it is not a load or pressure based fixture. WHEW! So, I drive the NEW ( aka, CORRECT MOPAR part) in place.
and re-assemble everything, and viola' she goes nice ya?

BOTTOM LINE HERE FOLKS, WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVE LINE AND HARD ENGINE PARTS FOR "IMMEDIATE" RESOLUTION, DEALER IS HARD TO BEAT IF YOU YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING. 'course maybe I don't, I turned a two hour job into an all day melee.....I wanted to share in case any of you all EVER run into this......
PICs attached.....

by the way the deal way 5 bucks cheaper.....hmmmm but was the gas worth it? H%&* ya!

anyway my story, hope it hleps and F**%& AUTOZONE!

cheers!

cpnwrench

Attached Thumbnails The NP 231 Saga-imag0568.jpg   The NP 231 Saga-imag0571.jpg  
Old 12-18-2011, 02:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: Renix 4.0L

That's... Quite a tale! Haha
Old 12-18-2011, 02:47 AM

Just so's ya know, the one on the left is the AZ "EXACT" replacement part (notice the "hole" in the rubber part).....the one one the right is the MOPAR "correct fit" part.

HMMMMMMM.......and they ask me WHY i

cpnwrench

Old 12-18-2011, 02:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Is there a bushing in that tail housing? Wonder if you want to keep an eye open for another. Bummer btw! I mean it probably has lateral pressure on it when your wheelen, might want all three bolts....

Last edited by DFlintstone; 12-18-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 AM

RUBBLE! yep, there sure is a bushing, an I was Vatican careful about that!

My only concern is the tang damage.....after all was said an done. But I got craploads of RTV around that extraneous holddown.on the extension.....bolt tightened ok, but my spelling threw some folks off.

Bottom line, is, can you believe these parts stores? holy crap! what am i gonna do ten years from now? i mean c'mon man!

rrrrrrrrrgh!

cpnwrench

Old 12-18-2011, 03:16 AM

Ya, i know, I gotta find another extension housing, or have it brazed proper.

but for now, its what I got.....

Thanks for listening, laughing!

cpnwrench

Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

one question why did you remove the tail housing to replace the seal? sucks about the seal ...
Old 12-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I don't think auto zone gave you the correct seal to begin with. I had to replace mines and got an auto zone one and it was perfectly fine and looked like the orange OEM one. It was also only 8 bucks I think. I still got another seal from them that I keepnas a spare.

Last edited by sam24th; 12-18-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Taking the tail housing off makes it alot easier to get the old seal out and to get the new one in, especially if you don't have a lift or a way to get the jeep in the air
Old 12-18-2011, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

I've had my share of Autozone parts quality issues too.
Last time was injector O-rings.
As to the broken ear, get a large flat washer, largest that will seat flat and put it on it
tighten it down to provide even pressure.

with a 3" lift I rarely have to jack the XJ up to work under it.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Oh...Gotch'ya. Thought maybe you didn't tighten your bolt

Glad you didn't give a taxi your last $25 to bring out the wrong part.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by westcoast
Taking the tail housing off makes it alot easier to get the old seal out and to get the new one in, especially if you don't have a lift or a way to get the jeep in the air
ya with ground clearence issue i could see that, 20 minutes with small screw driver and hammer seem the quickest way ive ever replaced one ,every body does things different i guess

Last edited by freegdr; 12-18-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Caish
I've had my share of Autozone parts quality issues too.
Last time was injector O-rings.
As to the broken ear, get a large flat washer, largest that will seat flat and put it on it
tighten it down to provide even pressure.

with a 3" lift I rarely have to jack the XJ up to work under it.
right with 11 inch lift i need bigger wheels on my creeper and longer arms to work under mine ...lol...

Last edited by freegdr; 12-18-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Sam24........did you look at the photos I attached?

that is the "recommended" replacement part from Auto zone...(the one on the left)

Part Number #2056.......

it is in their inventory absolutely WRONG.

What is the part number you got that is the correct one?

cpnwrench