Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start after the jeep suddenly shut down

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default No start after the jeep suddenly shut down

I was headed home the other day and saw a 97+ XJ broke down on the side of the road. When I pulled over someone already had jumper cables hooked up and they were trying to jump it off. The lady said as she stared slowing down the jeep just died on her. Then she tried to crank it and it wouldn't start. It almost seems like the battery was shot. I took the jumper cables off and hooked up a multimeter. 12.57 volts is what I got. I tried to crank it and nothing happened. Then I left the key on and checked the volts at the starter. It was perfect. I then arced the terminals on the starter. It started clicking like it was trying to engage the fly wheel.

I then started asking her more questions. I remembered that she was adding water to the radiator when I arrived. She told me the head was cracked bc coolant was getting in the oil. And because of that they were changing the oil every two weeks. (That sucks) I then noticed there was no fan shroud.

It didn't make any sense to me. It randomly died on her which would lead me to believe she had a bad alternator. But then her battery had good voltage. Then I try and start it and it seems like the starter is bad.

I didn't have a best case scenario at the time so I told her worse case scenario is the engine ran hot and seized up. Causing the starter to not be able to turn the engine over.

She started getting upset and was talking about having to call someone to get it towed. I could tell by the condition of the jeep she didn't have a lot of money. So I then hooked up to her and towed her home. Kind of felt bad for her but that was all I could do on the side of the road. Once I unhooked at her apartment she told me she didn't have any money. I told her I didn't do it for money. I told her sorry for what had napped and to just pass the favor along to another person that needs help.

Do you think my side of the road diagnosis is semi accurate?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

sounds about right to me
Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by warthog
it seems like the starter is bad.
"Good on you" Warthog, as an aussy might say. Points to you for being so helpful.

I know you didn't hear it run..gotta think it would be knocking or smoking or something to be so bad it would seize. A bad starter shouldn't make it die on the road though.
"I then arced the terminals on the starter. It started clicking like it was trying to engage the fly wheel."
You do know just connecting the two big studs will only make it spin. The little green one needs juice to energize the solonoid and engage the Bendix.

The solonoid clicking.....Was me I think I'd make darn sure the terminals and cable connections/ground were clean and solid, then take it from there. The "static" voltage might be OK, but current might not make it through a bad connection, or cable.

Crank pulley bolt is 3/4-19mm? I forget.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah I didn't have anything big enough to try and turn the crank, I was thinking the same thing. The starter did not make the jeep all of a sudden die. I believe it overheated and seized up.

From what I can remember, I tried arcing different points multiple times and it was only clicking. I thought about a bad connection but my multimeter was showing good voltage at the starter.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good on ya, mate.

anyways, I really doubt the motor seized from overheating. prolly just overheated and shut off. and then she probably cranked it for 20 minutes and toasted the starter.

only reason i say that is because i have overheated many many many times and havent seized an engine from it.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

That makes sense. They could have been trying to crank it for 2 hours before i got there. I didn't ask that
Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
"Good on you" Warthog, as an aussy might say..
Originally Posted by rompnXJ
good on ya, mate..
Indeed, as an Aussie I can truely say: Good on ye, mate!
If only more people would consider doing the same...well...then nobody would be left stranded..

As for the reason of her no start, I'm afraid it might be difficult to get a final answer on that...
Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks. I have been focused lately on helping otheres that need it hoping they will pass the favor. Bc one day that could be me on the side of the road.

On a side note, after I retire in 7 years, if our country is in the same or a worse state than it is now. I might look into moving to Australia, I've always wanted to go their
Old 11-03-2013, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I'm sure you would like it, especially with that mentality of trying to help others...you will find a lot of similar spirits here...
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Nice, I'll keep that in mind
Old 11-04-2013, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by Roler
.you will find a lot of similar spirits here...
I spent some Quality time with a gal from Waroonga here years ago. She said she'd marry me if I sailed to Australia in my sailboat. It's, "open" 14 feet long...