Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Oil Getting to Rocker Arms after Head Gasket Replacement HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default No Oil Getting to Rocker Arms after Head Gasket Replacement

NO OIL TO ROCKERS AFTER HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT
Hey guys, i'm new here so please bear with me. I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee XJ which has about 175,000 miles on it. Within the last month I replaced the head gasket (it was blown), valve stem seals, hydraulic lifters, thermostat, and ALL the sensors. I torqued EVERYTHING to spec and even double checked. I put everything back together, plugged everything back in, reconnected the battery and put new oil in it. I started it up and let it run for a couple minutes, then took it around the block. Right off the bat I noticed that the new rear lifter was ticking even louder then the old one (which wasn't very loud), so I figured id pull the valve cover off to check to if it was getting oil. THE ROCKER ARMS WERE GETTING OIL BEFORE I STARTED THIS PROJECT. There was no oil at the rocker arms at all. I pushed on all the rocker arms right over the push rods and they were firm. I cleaned the inside of the push rods with brake parts cleaner before reassembly, so I know they are clean. Someone told me that it could be a bad oil pump and of course I replaced it. Tried starting it up and still no oil to the rockers. Starting doing a little more research and figured I should try replacing the oil pressure sending unit because my oil pressure gauge is not working and neither is my temperature gauge, but ill get to that. Fired it up still the gauge is not working and still no oil to the rockers. I did an oil pressure test about a week ago and i'm getting 70 PSI at startup and it kind of fluctuates. The jeep now only runs for about 2 minutes tops, then dies. Once it dies it makes sort of a hissing sound like there is bunch of oil pressure stuck somewhere in the engine and makes a weird pinging noise for a couple of minutes. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE? I would really appreciate any help I can get. NOW TO THE NEXT ISSUE ..................

OIL PRESSURE GAUGE AND COOLANT TEMP GAUGE STOP WORKING AFTER HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT
After all I explained above both the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge stopped working. They were working before all of this. As mentioned above I did replace ALL the sensors including the coolant temperature sensor and the coolant temperature sending unit (the one at the rear of the head). I did buy a cheap generic coolant temp sensor and sending unit. Thought maybe that was the issue and it wasn't. I did see that some people say that only MOPAR sending units work and most of the time not even store brands work. So I bought a Genuine MOPAR temp sensor and sending unit and still the same issue. I did disconnect the ground off of the rear head bolt, ended up cleaning that with electrical cleaning spray and a wire brush and still the same thing. Then I replaced the ground with a 4 AWG. And of course the same issue. Please keep in mind i'm getting 70 PSI of oil pressure, but the gauge is not showing anything. Once again.....WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO?ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? DO YOU THINK ITS A PINCHED WIRE? ARE THE GAUGES BAD ALL OF A SUDDEN? HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM(S)?

Last edited by MonsterEnergy0806; 11-26-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:09 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Are you sure the lifters were the right ones? Did they have the oil feed hole in the pushrod seat? Did you pinch the harness where it goes around behind the head?