Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No crank/no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No crank/no start

As per usual, every time I touch the XJ to fix something, I end up with a new problem.

I went to leave work last night, and when I turned the key to start it, there was no response from the starter. All of the accessories worked, but there was absolutely no action from the starter. I checked to make sure my reverse lights came on(thought maybe I had a bad NSS) and tried starting it in N, and still nothing. Checked fuse 19 in the kickpanel block and it was good, swapped the starter relay out with the horn relay, knowing it was working, and still nothing. I tied jumping the pins in the NSS plug in the engine bay, no crank, no start.

I ended up jumping the starter with a screwdriver and drove home. No CEL and no codes(checked anyway just in case my CEL isnt working properly). When I jumped it this morning to come to work, my radio didn't turn on until I hit the power button. Now I'm thinking its something other than an ignition switch issue. I tried searching through various posts similar to this issue, but wasn't able to find much beyond people having issues with the NSS or CPS. I figured if the CPS was the culprit, I would have a CEL??

I am going to pick up a voltage meter on my way home and grab my Haynes to try to track down where the failure is, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would very much appreciate the insight.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

If it was the CPS, it would crank, but you wouldn't be getting spark. I'd grab that meter and see if you're getting a signal at the starter solenoid when you turn the the key to start, and if not, then trace back from there.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Aaaaand I'm an idiot. grabbed a tester and checked the starter fuse.... Swapped it with the headlight switch fuse and it fired right up. There you have it, folks. Just because it looks okay, doesn't mean its working properly.

I'm gunna go find something manly to do to redeem myself.
The following users liked this post:
99to00JeepLaredo (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2015, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MurderCityXJ
I'm gunna go find something manly to do to redeem myself.
Don't beat yourself up....you found the problem. Good job.

However, anytime you have a blown fuse, simply replacing the fuse may only get you down the road a bit before it happens again.

Something on the starter circuit caused the fuse to be blown. And it will likely happen again. Blowing the fuse indicates an intermittent "short" somewhere in that circuit. The problem could be internal to the starter itself. The problem with having it tested is that with an intermittent problem, it could test fine on a bench tester unless the problem is taking place at the exact time the starter is being tested.

Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 04-04-2015, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Don't beat yourself up....you found the problem. Good job.

However, anytime you have a blown fuse, simply replacing the fuse may only get you down the road a bit before it happens again.

Something on the starter circuit caused the fuse to be blown. And it will likely happen again.

Stay tuned..........
Yeah, I'm gunna keep a spare in the toolbox just in case and keep my eye on the lookout. I'm just glad to have it working right now. I'll try to follow the wiring back next weekend while I'm doing my new kickdown cable and u joints.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Didn't drive at all yesterday, but the jeep started this morning for the drive to work. Went to leave work, and the fuse had blown again. My only guess is that the starter is drawing too much power and blowing the fuse??

I refreshed the connections to the starter, the fender wall ground, and noticed that the ground at the back of the block wasn't anywhere close to connected... Not sure if those will have any effect on it, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I started the jeep and the fuse didn't blow, so maybe its a gradual thing?? Electrical issues... woof.

Also, yes I know, I need to do my valve cover gasket this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails No crank/no start-20150406_202232.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ya, that ground is a "little" loose. That nut isn't easy to get at either.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Larry's XJ
Ya, that ground is a "little" loose. That nut isn't easy to get at either.
It most certainly was not... a ratchet wrench with a high tooth count would have been a huge improvement to the not quite deep enough socket I had, but I was able to snug it up tight with an adjustable.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by MurderCityXJ
It most certainly was not... a ratchet wrench with a high tooth count would have been a huge improvement to the not quite deep enough socket I had, but I was able to snug it up tight with an adjustable.
I just run that ground to a bolt on the intake manifold.