Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to Jeeps/site. Need a list of parts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to Jeeps/site. Need a list of parts.

I'm 17 and just inherited our 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport for my first car. It needs some work so I decided to join the forums and get some help from people who know a lot about Cherokees.

It needs a tuneup and I'll be doing it all myself. I need some recommended parts from you guys. The parts include- Spark plugs/Air filters/Battery/Brake pads/muffler/windshield wiper blades/arms. That's really it. If you could leave a list of suggested items I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L I6

copper plugs, any air filter, battery depends on accessories, the breaks are gonna such no matter what, i just get duralast, flowmaster muffler or cherrybomb cause its what the cool kids do, and wiper blades dont matter, the cheaper ones just dont last as long
Old 10-27-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by phoenix901223
copper plugs, any air filter, battery depends on accessories, the breaks are gonna such no matter what, i just get duralast, flowmaster muffler or cherrybomb cause its what the cool kids do, and wiper blades dont matter, the cheaper ones just dont last as long
Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

For basic maintenance items I would just suggest getting basic/stock items. Once you get it running good then and get an idea of what you want to do to it (if anything) then we can get into more specific items.

As far as the muffler goes I have a Magnaflow on mine and it sounds good...why not great? Because to me nothing with less than 8 Cylinders really sounds great. I prefer the loppy V8 sound... but the 4.0 Jeep 6 Cylinder sounds good with a nice exhaust.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
For basic maintenance items I would just suggest getting basic/stock items. Once you get it running good then and get an idea of what you want to do to it (if anything) then we can get into more specific items.

As far as the muffler goes I have a Magnaflow on mine and it sounds good...why not great? Because to me nothing with less than 8 Cylinders really sounds great. I prefer the loppy V8 sound... but the 4.0 Jeep 6 Cylinder sounds good with a nice exhaust.
yeah inline motors sound funny and drone with just about every muffler
Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by prerunner1982

I'll probably end up lifting it in the future. It has 128k miles and it was owned by my grandparents so it's going to run strong for a while. I'll look at some magnaflow exhausts though. Do you have a certain oil you use?
The car has been sitting for a bit and will need an oil change too.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Check for leaks at the rear main seal, oil pan, and valve covers. All notoriously know for leaking on an xj, and all can be fixed by yourself and cheaply in an afternoon. The oil filter o ring is another leaker.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy
Check for leaks at the rear main seal, oil pan, and valve covers. All notoriously know for leaking on an xj, and all can be fixed by yourself and cheaply in an afternoon. The oil filter o ring is another leaker.

Thanks! Wouldn't have known that. I'll be sure to check all that when I get the chance.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

hey Snozz!!!!! welcome to the forum!

FIRST thing you want is the HAYNES manual which can be purchased at the local autozone/oreillys/advance etc.

Study it, particularly the tune-up and routine maintenance section......

It will give you very good information on what to look for on your "new" vehicle and what capacities and types of replacement parts you will need when you decide to do whatever work you want to tackle.

Now, after studying the manual and getting to know the vehicle a little bit by visual inspection and more studying....

use the web for searching for parts, and price comparisons, there are several out there, and also don't discount the jeep dealer in your area, they are being competative nowadays with parts prices (not all, but some) as the on-line suppliers are taking a chunk of their business.

so,,, www.rockauto.com, www.quadratec.com, www.teamcherokee.com, and do some googling for others, this will give you a heads up on prices for parts you may need or may want to buy in future (lift kits etc)....

But my most serious recommendation is to study the manual about your jeep......

good luck kiddo!!!! an don hesitate to post questions here! thats why we exist!

cpnwrench

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I run the 15W40 Rotella T oil. It is diesel oil, but from what I understand it has more ZDDP (zinc) than regular oil, which the flat tappet 4.0 liter motor needs.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by phoenix901223
yeah inline motors sound funny and drone with just about every muffler
TVR makes an inline 6 4.0L. they sound amazing...it alos puts out 400hp iirc
Old 10-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I have the Jeep running, and it's running stronger than ever! My step dad helped with a few parts, but she's looking good.