Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to Jeeps, a couple of Tech questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New to Jeeps, a couple of Tech questions...

Hey there, hope I could gain some insight on a few issues with my Jeep. I am new to the Jeep world so I apologize for any questions. If it helps I did do a search first.

Truck: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0L, 110k miles.

1.) My front door speakers were not working (standard 4 speaker system with no amp). I did a search and found that the splice in the door grommet breaks. So I made 2 harnesses about 18" in length. I cut the speaker connectors and spliced them into my harness. I ran the harness through the grommet into the passenger compartment. I then used scotch lock connectors and tapped into the speaker +/-. This solved the drivers speaker, works but sounds like crap. The passengers speaker does nothing. I measure about 5v at the speaker+ and drops to nothing when the radio is shut off. Between the two scotch lock connectors I measure 30 ohms. Does this indicate the speaker is blown?

2.) This Jeep has a history of rusty coolant. About 10k miles ago the water pump and thermostat were replaced because they rusted out. Every now and again the heater core will clog up and I will need to back flush it to clear. I also drain and flush the coolant and fill with fresh 50/50 mix. The last time I also added some cooling system protector/cleaner (Kool from Gunk I believe). Its been good so far, but its only been a couple hundred miles. Is this a common issue? Should I replace the radiator and heater core? Am I correct to assume the rust is from the iron block?

3.) The rear defroster doesn't seam to do anything. The light on the switch comes on and will shut off after the timer. I haven't checked for power at the grid yet, but just wondering if this is common as well and what it may be.

4.) Tire upgrade... Currently the Jeep is riding on some nice AR wheels with stock tire size. The tires are some Dunlop AT's. They aren't bad, but I would like a more aggressive looking tread. Is it common to go a size or two bigger? What is a recommended size for a nice aggressive stance?

5.) Floor mats... Where can I get some nice rubber all season floor mats the are made for the Jeep? I want to keep her as clean as I can, so I don't mind paying a few bucks more for quality mats.

Thanks for the help, If I think of anything else I will ask. Cheers!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

2. For your coolant, you should keep flushing and replacing coolant (green) until the coolant stays clean. For abused systems, that can take multiple flushes.

5. Weathertech makes good floor mats. I always use the "winter mats" with ribs in there, as they hold a lot of slush and water. The actual Jeep winter mats are good too, but I'm sure you can find an aftermarket brand that is as good and will save you some money.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

1. Sounds like the speakers are shot, or the connection still isn't good enough. More work required.

2. See TJ's response

3. Take a look at the wires. Do any of them look broken / scratched? All it takes is one spot to have a broken connection for the entire thing to not work. Also check the fuse and the connector at the liftgate.

4. 235/75R15 tires are the biggest you can go without a lift/trimming.

5. Any auto parts store will have nice winter mats like TJ said. There are no crazy curves and such to worry about fitting around in an XJ so a universal one should be fine. Mine came with rubber trim around the outside that you would cut to better fit your application.

Last edited by dukie564; 12-20-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by tjwalker
2. For your coolant, you should keep flushing and replacing coolant (green) until the coolant stays clean. For abused systems, that can take multiple flushes.

5. Weathertech makes good floor mats. I always use the "winter mats" with ribs in there, as they hold a lot of slush and water. The actual Jeep winter mats are good too, but I'm sure you can find an aftermarket brand that is as good and will save you some money.
I will check the auto parts store, Walmart had some floor mats by Michelin that looked nice, but a bit wide.

I think the coolant has been flushed 4 times now. Hope with the corrosion protector in it now it will be fine.

Originally Posted by dukie564
1. Sounds like the speakers are shot, or the connection still isn't good enough. More work required.

2. See TJ's response

3. Take a look at the wires. Do any of them look broken / scratched? All it takes is one spot to have a broken connection for the entire thing to not work. Also check the fuse and the connector at the liftgate.

4. 235/75R15 tires are the biggest you can go without a lift/trimming.

5. Any auto parts store will have nice winter mats like TJ said. There are no crazy curves and such to worry about fitting around in an XJ so a universal one should be fine. Mine came with rubber trim around the outside that you would cut to better fit your application.
Is 235/75R15 the common upsize? What will this do to my speedo? Would you know where I could find some pictures of a stock ride height Cherokee with this size?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Originally Posted by n8doggz
Is 235/75R15 the common upsize? What will this do to my speedo? Would you know where I could find some pictures of a stock ride height Cherokee with this size?
Yes it is. Your speedo will not be off by much at all. Look at my profile pictures at my jeep. It's stock height with 235s.

<---- Photos Here
Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

OEM tires are 225/75/15, not 235. 235/70/15 are virtually same diameter as stock.

Last edited by djb383; 12-20-2010 at 01:34 PM.