Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help at last end

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation need help at last end

Hello fellow buddies and freinds that own jeeps. i am having a problem that i can not fix yet it has been a month now. Okay lets start at the beggining my jeep is not running!! so here is what happened went out started my jeep for warmup then went out 5 moinutes later and she was running ruff soo i hopped inside and hit the gas were she died. then tried to restart her and she just turned over and over like there was no gas but it was a full tank. so i then went and bought a new battery as for mine was weak and a new alternator. then i tried to crank her over again and she still nothing. my buddy said iot was the senser under the distribuator cap so i went to napa and got a new one still no fire just turn over. so i then looked online and seen it was the fuel pump so i went to napa and got one took out old and put in new hard to do by yourself with full tank lol. did all that and still no fire it is like the fuel pump is not working and no gas to the engine. Please help i love my jeep and hate the costs of a mechanic shop.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by greywolf
Hello fellow buddies and freinds that own jeeps. i am having a problem that i can not fix yet it has been a month now. Okay lets start at the beggining my jeep is not running!! so here is what happened went out started my jeep for warmup then went out 5 moinutes later and she was running ruff soo i hopped inside and hit the gas were she died. then tried to restart her and she just turned over and over like there was no gas but it was a full tank. so i then went and bought a new battery as for mine was weak and a new alternator. then i tried to crank her over again and she still nothing. my buddy said iot was the senser under the distribuator cap so i went to napa and got a new one still no fire just turn over. so i then looked online and seen it was the fuel pump so i went to napa and got one took out old and put in new hard to do by yourself with full tank lol. did all that and still no fire it is like the fuel pump is not working and no gas to the engine. Please help i love my jeep and hate the costs of a mechanic shop.

Crankshaft position sensor is definitely suspect here.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM

I would turn the car on and listen for the "hum", if you can hear that, go to the front of the engine and look under your jeep there is a button that looks like the valve stem cap off a tire, its on the right side. Press it down with your nail and if gas sprays out its receiving fuel. I would also check the relays in the fuse box. When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? It may have become clogged. Also, can you do a check engine test and tell us any error codes you are receiving?

Last edited by kurvy; 02-01-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by thundaluvin
Crankshaft position sensor is definitely suspect here.
X2 on the CPS...Tj
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

X3 CPS, On my 1990 cherokee it would crank and crank but no go. I changed the CPS and it worked like a charm.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

The first thing you need to do is to stop throwing parts at this. It is not efficient and as you have found out, gets expensive in a hurry!

You need to either adopt a "methodical testing strategy" here.

Is this on a 97? Year/engine important.

The crank sensor is ALWAYS suspect with the 4.0 Without that important input signal to the computer, you will NOT have spark and even though you may have fuel to the rail, you will NOT have fuel going to the fuel injectors.

Here is a thread on understanding the crank sensor. It is the first step here........

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...ailing-639123/
Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

x4 cps if your getting no spark
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by greywolf
electrical sensor in the dist or the rotor not clear here
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Wagoneer

hey sorry the year of my jeep is 97 tj sport 4.0 the new parts i have put on it since i have owned it is new manifold, battery, alternator, starter, fuel pump, distributer switch plate, 2 inch poly spacer lift. i hope that is going to help i have bought more parts but not instaled them i am good at taking parts of and putting them back on just not finding out what the problem is lol need a tester i think.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 AM
CF Veteran

have you checked for codes ?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran