Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help with electric fan connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Need help with electric fan connector

My electric fan was missing when i bought my 97. No problem. I bought a replacement electric fan, but the body side connector is broken, and would like to replace it. How do the pins pull out of this connector? It looks like there is a cap on the backside the wires pass through, but i cannot get that cap off. Or does the blue lock at the other end pry out? I cannot get that out either.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Got it! Behind the black cap where the wires pass are two tiny tabs on each side that grab the cap. I used some tweezers to pry it off, and used the same to dig the seal out of the connector. There was nothing back there holding the terminals in. On the other end with the blue lock or whatever it is called, there is a hole in the center which i assumed was hiding a tab of some sort. I could get in there with a pik, but could not engage any such tab.

Looking over the connector a little closer i used the tweezers and stuck it between the seal and blue lock, said my prayers and pushed the blue lock out. It popped out rather easily, and did not break. While there IS a tab on the backside of it, i dont see how even a special tool would fit in there to get it. Once that was removed i could wedge the tweezers between each terminal and their respective tabs to free both terminals and back them out.