Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric Fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electric Fan wiring

I'm trying to do something similar to what the previous owner of my XJ did where he wired the electric fan directly to the relay with a fused wire, but I would like to run a switch to it so I can turn it on full power when in the drivers seat.

My motor doesn't get hot enough to turn the fan on and it doesn't turn on with the A/C running. and this way I can control the air flow a bit more and prevent any form of overheating

Thanks in advance,
RW
Old 04-07-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

I put mine on a timer so I can run it after I shut the Jeep off. (or while it's running)

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/el...166945/index2/
Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here's one way.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97

Kinda strange that your electric fan doesn't run when you run the A/C, pretty certain that it should. Would suggest that you might want to do some troubleshooting of that issue. And you say the engine doesn't get hot enough to run it? Are you sure it works at all?
I live in some serious hot, so I wired mine with a switch to turn it on when I need it.
Probably should have used a relay, but I didn't, and have had zero probs. I found a very decent switch, off the shelf at A-Zone. It's rated at 50 amps DC, and it's been doing the job for nearly three years now. Cost was about six bucks if I recall. Be advised that direct current (car power) is death on contacts when they open under load. Somebody's law says that DC will try to sustain itself, causing the arc to be drawn out, burning the contact surfaces, hence the recommendation for a relay.
Anyway, I removed my center console, drilled it right forward of the transfer case (4WD selector lever) handle, moving it just slightly to the right, to give a bit of switch clearance when shifting into/out of 4WD, then used a double mounting nut to keep it from rotating in the hole. For wiring it I ran a 12awg wire (stranded wire always!) from the fusible link, through a 20amp inline fuse, and to the "before connector plug" side of the hot wire to the fan. I use it very often, especially offroad when little air is pulled by the mechanical fan at low rpms, but also in traffic tie ups on road. Truth be told, I like the idea above of putting an after run timer in the circuit, but didn't think of that when I did mine. I never had a newer car with that feature, so it never dawned on me.
HTH
Bob