Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help! 98 XJ- Replace aftermarket sunroof with OEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Question Need Help! 98 XJ- Replace aftermarket sunroof with OEM

First thanks for reading this and any help you offer!
I just purchased a 1998 Jeep Cherokee. It is my first old car and I am super excited to do some of the restoration myself. The car doesn't need a lot of fixing mostly cosmetic.
One thing I thought was cool was that it has a sunroof. I come to find out it is aftermarket, which isn't a problem for the time being expect it doesn't open and has no shade to block the heat.
My 1st question is whether or not this year and model originally was made with a sunroof????? The 3 people I have asked (Jeep repair shops) say yes. I know the Grand Cherokee did but not sure about mine.......
2nd questions would be if it was, for the sake of restoring it properly where do I find a replacement kit with OEM parts?
3rd question is how hard would it be for me to do it with out a mechanic?
4th question is, if there was no sunroof originally what is the best AM(After Market) sunroof to in or is there a way to close it up?

Sorry if any of my questions seems silly, I have no idea about the terminology but I catch on and have lot of commonsense so I make due.
Thanks again for helping me out, I have googled and can't find anything to lead me in the right direction.

Last thing is, please recommend any sites I should be familiar with as far as parts go during my restoration. I would love to find a site to show me what my car looked like from the factory! I think that could help me keep it authentic.
I will add pictures soon.